Crime Log

By Erin Kelly

Crime Log entries are selected from Northeastern’s Division of Public Safety reports.

Tuesday, February 5 3:30 p.m. A graduate student reported she leaving her backpack unattended in a room in the Forsyth Building for 15 minutes. When she returned, it was gone. The backpack contained a GPS system and credit cards, among other things.

Wednesday, February 6 2:30 p.m. Northeastern University Division of Public Safety (NUPD) responded to a call about an argument near the Starbucks in the Curry Student Center (CSC). A 40-year-old male student was upset and arguing with others that his backpack had been moved from his chair to an adjacent chair while he was purchasing food. Officers calmed the student, who has a prior history on campus of argumentative and aggressive behavior, and cautioned him to control his behavior. Moments later, NUPD officers were called to the Office of Student Affairs in Ell Hall about the same student acting disorderly and raising concerns. Officers calmed him once again and he will be reported to the Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution (OSCCR).

Thursday, February 7 Noon Officers were conducting a follow-up investigation and interviewing an 18-year-old student on the fourth floor of Stetson West when they discovered a bong with marijuana residue in it on the student’s roommate’s side of the room. It was confiscated, and the student was reported to OSCCR.

12:30 p.m. A female student reported her ex-boyfriend, who is a student, was harassing her with a large number of e-mails and personal visits on campus. She sought guidance from a university staff member, who urged her to report the incidents to NUPD. Officers and the student came to the mutual conclusion that NUPD should talk to the male student. NUPD banned the male student from visiting the female student’s residence hall and was told to cease contact with her. He was receptive and said he would seek counseling.

9:30 p.m. A Resident Assistant (RA) from White Hall reported overhearing students talking about sharing beer. She visited the room of the students and found an 18-year-old female resident with a few guests. The RA confiscated a six-pack of beer and called NUPD about the smell of marijuana. The resident admitted having marijuana and it was confiscated. She will be referred to OSCCR. One of her guests, a 19-year-old student who admitted bringing the beer, will also be reported to OSCCR.

Friday, February 8 2:30 p.m. A male student reported receiving threats on his Facebook account from another male student relating to a gambling debt from a poker game. An officer spoke to the threatening student first, who admitted sending the threats. The officer told him since the poker game was illegal, he has no legal means of collecting the money and should stop threatening the younger student. The incident was reported to OSCCR.

Saturday, February 9 4:30 p.m. A male student called NUPD to report he received a suspicious phone call from a person claiming to be an NUPD detective who then questioned him regarding fraternities. The call was not made by NUPD. Officers traced the number that appeared on caller ID, but were told the number is unassigned by the telephone company.

Sunday, February 10 1 a.m. An officer on Gainsborough Street was flagged down by a man outside Our House East. The man told the officer there had been a fight and a student was injured. Officers treated a 22-year-old student who had been punched by a man whose companion was not allowed inside the bar. The man who punched him fled the scene. The injured student was taken to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center for treatment. Boston Police Department (BPD) were called and provided with the information to investigate the situation.

4:30 a.m. A female student called to report a former boyfriend, who was visiting from out of state for the weekend, refused to leave after they got in an argument. NUPD arrested him for assault and battery and banned him from campus.

Monday, February 11 Midnight The custodial staff in Speare Hall reported that for the third weekend in a row, most of the lights in the east elevator had been vandalized.

9 a.m. A family member of a student called to report that the student had been assaulted Feb. 8 around 1 a.m. The student was with a group of friends on Huntington Avenue across from the YMCA when he got into an argument with another group of people. The student was punched in the face several times, and, later that day, was diagnosed with a broken jaw. The student filed a report with the BPD.

2 p.m. A student reported her wallet missing after she left it in an unlocked locker in the Cabot locker room for a few hours. It contained $30, her ID and a Charlie Card. While the officer was in Cabot with the student, a middle-aged man, with no affiliation to Northeastern, reported discovering the wallet in the men’s locker room. The locker was found locked and did not indicate forced entry.

7 p.m. A male staff member reported that 15 minutes earlier he had been walking on Huntington Avenue. and was struck by spit from a passing student. The staff member confronted the male student, who assaulted the staff member and then pushed him to the ground. NUPD notified BPD, who will investigate.

9:15 p.m. A male student reported his backpack stolen from the third floor of Ell Hall. The backpack contained his laptop.

Tuesday, February 12 2:30 p.m. A proctor at White Hall reported a man entering the building without signing in. Just as NUPD officers arrived, the proctor saw the man leaving with another person. Officers questioned them both and identified the man as a Boston College student, who admitted to not signing in. His clothing smelled of marijuana and when questioned about it, he took a bag of marijuana out of his sock and handed it to the officers. He was escorted off campus and banned from Northeastern. Boston College officials will be notified of the violations. The person the Boston College student said he had come to visit could not be located. The report was reported to OSCCR and Residential Life.