Fleurs de Villes’ “VOYAGE” blossoms in Prudential Center

Marta H
A mannequin inspired by India is draped in a red, orange and pink flower design. Each mannequin was decorated with a floral display inspired by the culture and heritage of each famous destination.

Stepping out of the November gloom and into the warm atrium of the Prudential Center, visitors were greeted by 16 life-size mannequins crafted entirely out of fresh flowers. From Nov. 2 to Nov. 6, Bostonians admired Fleurs de Villes’ “VOYAGE,” an exhibit highlighting cultural traditions from around the world. 

Fleurs de Villes works with local floral artists to create their public art installations. Boston’s VOYAGE 2023 was the company’s 90th show. 

Co-founders Karen Marshall and Tina Barkley created Fleur de Villes in 2016 in Vancouver, Canada. Soon after, they took their company worldwide, bringing their flower shows to five countries and 24 cities to date. This year was their first time hosting a show in Boston. 

“We pop in cities around the world and create gorgeous flower shows in gorgeous public spaces,” Marshall said. “We bring flowers to the people.”

Marshall said that preparations for Boston’s installment of “VOYAGE” began around 10 months ago. Artists spend months planning their arrangements and weeks creating the structures that will support them. 

“They really get to think about what the execution is going to be ahead of time,” Marshall said. “They really get to be as creative as they want and as creative as possible.”

Scotland’s floral arrangement combined the traditional with the modern, topping a grass-kilted figure with a vibrant blue peacock’s head to celebrate Fleurs de Villes’ partnership with Hendrick’s Gin. The sculpture representing Bermuda sat underneath a large circle of reeds, representing the country’s “moongates,” circular stone gates signifying good luck. 

Grace Watkins, a resident of Brookline who came to the Prudential Center for the exhibit, said that the time spent on each installation was apparent.

“I think it’s really well done, it has a great flow to it,” Watkins said. “I’ve noticed a couple well-thought-out and very methodical pieces.” 

Due to the winter weather, Marshall said that flowers were imported from warmer climates in order to give the sculptures their vibrant colors. However, using fresh-cut flowers can also prove challenging for artists.

“This is a five-day show open to the public but also one day of set up, so it’s a six-day flower show,” Marshall said. “Cut flowers don’t last six days, necessarily, without water. So, they have to think about water sources. There’s a lot of thought process that goes into this, including ordering, mechanics, everything before they even show up on the doorstep.”

In addition to engaging with local floral artists, Fleurs de Villes generates engagement from the public. Passersby were encouraged to vote for their favorite mannequin to win a three-day vacation package sponsored by Tourism Bermuda

“The voting is really a great engagement mechanism,” Marshall said. “We want them to really absorb which country they are viewing. When they enter their ballots, they’re not only supporting their local florists and giving them votes and a nod of appreciation, but they are entering to win a prize.”

Visitor Jasmine Schneph liked the Cape Verde statue because of its bright colors. She said she appreciated the representation provided by each sculpture, including her own heritage.

“As I’ve been looking at all the flowers, I think that they really represent the countries that they are supposed to,” Schneph said. “I’m from India and I loved the sari, but it kind of took me aback at first. From behind it looked like a regular sari, but the mannequin had its leg exposed, which is not traditional. I like that it was a modern take on the sari.” 

Marshall said that some artists have roots in the countries that they represent, while others diligently research the relevant cultural history.

“Artists do a really deep dive into the cultural nuances of a certain country so they really get it right,” Marshall said. “They don’t want to be too stereotypical.”

Despite the fact that Boston’s showing was the 10th “VOYAGE” show, several new countries were represented, including Ireland and Cape Verde. Marshall also said that the location of the Prudential Center sets the Boston show apart.

“[The Prudential Center] is a beautiful atrium which shows the flowers very well,” Marshall said. “There’s a lot of natural daylight that comes through those windows. The flowers look lit up and they don’t look theatrical.”

Sculptures were arranged in a procession that snaked through the center. The Scotland sculpture, located outside of View Boston, commemorates the rooftop restaurant’s collaboration with Fleur de Villes and Hendrick’s Gin, offering a special floral cocktail menu. The Italy arrangement was located outside of Eataly. 

Visitor Gavin MaGee appreciated the exhibit’s bright pops of color throughout the shopping center.

“I think it’s beautiful,” MaGee said. “It really brightens up the Pru during this time of the year.”

Kathryn Manning
Kathryn Manning, Projects Editor
Katy Manning is a third-year politics, philosophy, and economics major with a minor in law and public policy. She has been writing for the news since Fall 2021, and has previously served as deputy city Editor and Copy Chief.
Marta Hill
Marta Hill, Editor-at-Large
Marta Hill (she/her) is a fourth-year journalism major and the editor-at-large of The News. Before becoming editor-in-large, she served as editor-in-chief for a year and previously held the positions of campus editor, deputy campus editor and a variety of staff roles. Marta currently works for NASA as a science writer and hopes to keep the entire campus community up to date on matters concerning Northeastern. You can follow her @martajhill on Twitter.