The spirit of the DogHouse: experiencing gameday in Northeastern hockey’s fan section

Sofia Sawchuk
A student fan screams, reacting to in-game action. Many fans, especially those near the front of the DogHouse, emoted, chanted and poked their heads over the railings when voicing their feelings and thoughts throughout the game.

A fan takes a deep breath and closes their eyes: It’s gameday at Matthews Arena. The slapping sound of pucks rings off the boards while the crisp smell of ice fills the air. Northeastern’s Pep Band fills the gaps between play with bellowing music, while chants, jeers and cheers electrify the historic venue. The roar of the DogHouse, Northeastern’s student-filled hockey fan section, engulfs the atmosphere — building in intensity as the Pep Band blasts “Stacy’s Mom” throughout the arena.

The DogHouse occupies an entire balcony section at the end of Matthews Arena above and behind the opposing team’s crease. This wasn’t always the case though, as the origin of the DogHouse began back in the 1997-98 season of Northeastern’s men’s hockey team. It started with about a dozen students cheering on the Huskies behind their bench, only a couple feet from the players and coaches. The team’s coach at the time, Bruce Crowder, became well aware of their presence and showed his appreciation by throwing a pizza party for them. The recognition by the coach boosted the students’ spirits and passions and has since led to the enthusiastic, dedicated and louder-than-life section seen today.

Since then, the DogHouse has moved to the balcony behind the net, so the opposing goalie can hear all of the fans’ heckling. The DogHouse remains embedded in Northeastern’s hockey culture up in that very same spot, where it still resides to this day.

Nowadays, the DogHouse’s devoted members not only attend the men’s hockey home games, but the women’s home games as well. They even travel to away games, especially at nearby rivalry schools, like Boston College and Boston University, and at TD Garden to watch their hockey teams compete in the Beanpot. They bring the Husky pride and energy to every game they occupy and make themselves known no matter where they are.