Op-ed: Snell doesn’t need renovations, Northeastern just needs another library

+A+fence+blocks+off+the+temporarily+closed+main+entrance+to+Snell+Library.+A+two-year+project+to+renovate+Snell+Library+started+in+2023.
Quillan Anderson
A fence blocks off the temporarily closed main entrance to Snell Library. A two-year project to renovate Snell Library started in 2023.

A library is perhaps one of the most essential places on a college campus. It’s a space that’s meant to foster a student’s success by providing them with a productive and comfortable environment to work in. Northeastern’s Snell Library lacks these characteristics, and as a result, fails to provide that environment for students.

Snell’s shortcomings stem from one major issue — an inadequate amount of space. As Northeastern’s most prominent library, Snell can quickly become crowded by students looking for a reliable place to study. Finding a seat can feel impossible, never mind finding one on the floor you prefer. Four floors are simply not enough to handle the volume of Northeastern students. The overflow of students into any available space in Snell also contributes to noise control issues, which students often take to Reddit to complain about. The issue is especially apparent on the third and fourth floors, which are meant to be relatively quiet. 

Amidst all the people and the noise, sometimes all you can focus on is what is going on around you. As a result, productivity does not come easily.

Currently, Snell is about halfway through its projected two-year renovation that began at the start of 2023. Northeastern promised students the renovations will provide more study space on each floor, among other new resources that aim to make Snell a better study space.

However, renovations have only exacerbated the issues posed by overcrowding since they began. Between closed floors and the retraction of noise restrictions, Snell feels more overwhelming than ever, especially during midterm season. Furthermore, the second floor, housing highly collaborative spaces like the 3-D printing and recording studios, recently closed for renovations.

Even when the floor closures are over, the reality of the renovations is that they aren’t going to actually fix the issue at hand: too many students and not enough space. Without expanding the square footage of the library, adding additional seating only feeds overcrowding.

I understand that making space for Northeastern’s student population is not easy, nor is there a quick solution that will appease everyone. While I can appreciate what the university is attempting to do with the Snell renovations, I think it is more important that it recognizes that it is not a permanent fix. For students to reap all the benefits a library should offer, Northeastern needs another one. 

Another library would give students the ability to spread out and have a personal study space, which is not feasible in Snell, regardless of renovations. 

Additional space would also allow for the reintroduction of books at Northeastern libraries. At the height of the COVID-19 pandemic, the university stripped Snell of all its physical books to provide seating compliant with social distancing protocols. The most utilized volumes only just became available to students again with the reopening of the basement level of Snell. 

Having physical books available for students to reference is a highly valuable resource. Books support academics in an affordable and sustainable way since students can borrow what they need for a short period of time rather than having to buy it. An additional library would allow Northeastern to expand and develop a wider collection of literature for students to explore. Not to mention, books would make our library feel more like a library.

Granted, there are several other buildings on campus that can be utilized as study spaces, like the Interdisciplinary Science and Engineering Complex, EXP or Curry Student Center. However, I believe there are certain expectations of library spaces that other spaces on campus can’t fulfill.

One thing these buildings across campus have in common is the increase of bookable study spaces in them. Spaces at Northeastern is a service that allows students to reserve individual study spaces, called desks, in buildings across campus. While this service can be effective for students planning in advance, it isn’t an effective solution to Northeastern’s shortage of library space. Booking a seat should not be the only way students can feel confident in having a place to study. 

Spaces at Northeastern doesn’t account for students who might want a place to do work in-between classes or last-minute group meetings that we are all too familiar with. Individual study spaces are important and useful, but having enough freely available study space is more accessible and practical for students on a daily basis. Adding another library on campus is undoubtedly the best way to provide that for the Northeastern student population.

Libraries are a central part of a college campus because they are crucial to the academic experience. At this point in time, Snell is not providing to students what they need to thrive academically, nor will it when renovations are over. A second library is the only way for the Northeastern campus to reach its full potential, in turn allowing students to do the same.

Kara Orsini is a third-year health sciences major on the pre-med track. She can be reached at [email protected].

Quillan Anderson
Quillan Anderson, Photo Editor
Quillan Anderson is a fourth-year journalism and political science student with a minor in photojournalism and working on her MS in media advocacy. This is her second semester as photo editor at the News, and she has previously served as deputy photo editor.