Crime Log

By Erin Kelly

Crime Log entries are selected from Northeastern’s Division of Public Safety reports.

Tuesday, March 25

3:30 p.m.

Northeastern University Division of Public Safety officers responded to the Curry Student Center where two male students were involved in a fist fight. Neither student wanted to press charges. Both men will be reported to the Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution (OSCCR).

7 p.m.

A Massachusetts Institute of Technology student inside the Marino Center reported her purse missing after she placed it under the table and stopped paying attention. The purse contained several credit cards and about $20 in cash.

Thursday, March 27

7:30 a.m.

NUPD officers responded to a call from the manager at the Wollastons at the Marino Center who reported that he was detaining a shoplifter. Officers identified the perpetrator as a 15-year-old female high school student who shoplifted a pack of gum. The manager did not press charges but the student is banned from the store.

Noon

A professor who ordered a projector to be used in a 10:30 a.m. class arrived at his classroom to find a cart without a projector. When he called to inquire about it, he was told the projector was delivered at 9:30 a.m.

4:30 p.m.

An NUPD officer checking the guest registry at Snell Library recognized the name of a person who had previously received a university trespass warning. The officer found the man, a Boston resident, inappropriately using the research-only computers. The officer arrested the man for trespassing.

6 p.m.

NUPD officers were called to Snell Library where two high school girls were arguing. As the officer tried to assess the situation, some Boston Police Department (BPD) officers also showed up. The girls live near each other and were arguing because one had stolen the other person’s bookbag and shoes. The theft occurred off-campus, and was reported to BPD.

6:30 p.m.

A female student reported being assaulted by her older brother, who is also a student, after they both had lunch with family members. Subsequently, the female student had received threatening phone calls from her brother. She was provided with domestic abuse rights and obtained a restraining order against her brother, though she did not press charges. NUPD is trying to get her brother to seek counseling. The incident will be reported to OSCCR.

9 p.m.

NUPD officers responded to two separate, false fire alarms at Smith Hall, which they believed to be related. Officers interviewed students and believe the perpetrator is also responsible for the vandalism of exit signs in the building. The incident is being investigated.

Friday, March 28

5 p.m.

An NUPD officer noticed a man in Snell Library using the public access computers to looking at inappropriate websites. He was issued a trespass warning for inappropriate use of the facilities.

Saturday, March 29

1 a.m.

An 18-year-old female student was found vomiting in the courtyard at White Hall. She admitted drinking earlier at an off-campus party. After evaluation by EMTs she was able to return to her room. The student will be reported to OSCCR.

3:30 a.m.

A resident assistant (RA) in the YMCA reported uncooperative students in a room there. NUPD officers found alcohol in the room and evicted the resident’s seven guests. The 20-year-old male resident will be reported to OSCCR.

7:30 a.m.

A custodian reported a discharged fire extinguisher in the men’s bathroom on the third floor of Speare Hall.

Sunday, March 30

1 a.m.

BPD officers requested NUPD assistance at 37 Cunard St. in dealing with several noise complaints of a loud party. Officers discovered a large party and confiscated beer and a stereo system. The 19-year-old male student who lived there refused to identify the other residents of the apartment. BPD officers charged the student with keeping a disorderly house. He will be reported to OSCCR.

2:30 a.m.

An RA in West Village E reported vandalism to an exit sign on the eighth floor. The incident is being investigated.

3:20 a.m.

NUPD officers responded to a call from Willis Hall about a burst pipe. As officers were leaving, they heard a loud argument in an apartment on the first floor. Officers entered the apartment and found a group of students. It appeared that a few male students were fighting. One male student was extremely uncooperative with the officers and started swearing at them. Officers gave him several opportunities to calm down, and the student decided to leave the apartment but was still angry outside. When a different officer asked him to quiet down, the student still did not cooperate. When the original officers who responded to Willis Hall emerged, they witnessed the incident and arrested the student for disorderly conduct. The students will be reported to OSCCR.

1:30 a.m.

A student came to the NUPD station to report that her ex-boyfriend, a student, assaulted her. After the assault, he left threatening voice mails on her cell phone. The female student received an emergency restraining order, and her ex-boyfriend was arrested for assault and battery. The male student will be reported to OSCCR.

Monday, March 31

2:30 p.m.

A student reported her wallet stolen from a table at the food court in the Marino Center. The wallet contained several gift cards and more than $100.

5:30 p.m.

An NUPD officer patrolling Snell Library saw two men, who were not students, being loud and disruptive. The officer asked them to stop, and one made a rude comment. The officer issued both men trespass warnings and told them they are were no longer welcome on campus.

9 p.m.

An NUPD officer patrolling Snell Library recognized a name on the guest log sign-in sheet as a person who was issued a previous trespass warning. The officer located the ment and found that he did not have a clear understanding of the trespass warning he was issued, and after explaining the process to him, the officer issued him a final trespass warning and told him he is banned from campus.

10:30 p.m.

A female student reported that she had been receiving harassing and inappropriate text messages on her cell phone. The student will either change her number or receive assistance from NUPD in tracking the sender of the messages.