Duckling Day brings families together, celebrates Mother’s Day with feathered fun

Jessica Xing
The Duckling Day mascot and Friends of the Public Garden hosts lead parade participants through Boston Common while holding a Duckling Day banner. Spectators smiled and took photographs, commenting on the adorable duckling costumes.

Thousands of mothers and children dressed as ducks gathered on Boston Common May 12 for Duckling Day, an annual tradition hosted by Friends of the Public Garden each Mother’s Day.

A tribute to the 1941 children’s book “Make Way for Ducklings” by Robert McCloskey, the celebration attracted toddlers and parents as they donned all kinds of duck costumes and yellow garments. Despite being overcast and chilly, the weather did not stop children and their families from frolicking and enjoying the duck-themed festivities.

Set up around the Parkman Bandstand, this year’s Duckling Day featured a playground area, various stands, live entertainment and more. Upon checking in at 10 a.m., families received duck bill-shaped whistles that made quacking noises when blown into and bubble wands for their ducklings. Many children scrambled to the playground area, climbing, hopping and bouncing on the various structures. As more families arrived, participants spread out, exploring the other activities and sponsored tents. Children laughed, screamed and played as parents smiled and squatted down to get photos of their little ones.

Along with games and activities, multiple peck-tacular performances, including songs played by the Harvard University marching band and a lion dance by members of the Woo Ching White Crane Institution, mesmerized participants.

At noon, families lined up for the finale: the annual Duckling Day parade. Led by two children dressed as marshals and a duck mascot, children and their parents waddled around Boston Common, across Charles Street and through the Public Garden until they reached the “Make Way for Ducklings” sculpture. A well-loved fixture of Boston for over three decades, the sculpture features nine bronze statues of the ducks from the picture book of the same name and served as a fitting ending for the parade.

As the marching band continued to entertain guests, mothers watched their ducklings climb up on individual duck sculptures and run around the garden, cherishing the event and the memories brought with it.

Jessica Xing
Jessica Xing, Photo Editor
Jessica Xing is a third-year graphic design major with a minor in journalism. She has previously served as deputy photo editor and design editor and is excited to continue working with photographers for The News this semester.