Somerville carnaval creates thriving atmosphere for local businesses

Families walk along Broadway Street toward a multitude of afternoon activities. The SomerStreets Carnaval celebrated the artistic and diverse community of East Somerville. (Curtis DeSmith)

The East Somerville neighborhood opened its streets to pedestrians June 2 for the 14th annual SomerStreets Carnaval. Kicked off by a parade, viewers watched local culture come to life with performances by dance and music groups such as Barranquilla Flavor and SambaViva, showcasing a blend of Latin American and African rhythms. Sponsored by the Somerville Arts Council and Mass Cultural Council, the Carnaval embraced the artistry of the community. With different opportunities for attendees, visitors explored the diverse festival of vendors, performances and refreshments.

Parents and children play games for prizes. Games included cornhole, a dunk tank and ring toss. (Curtis DeSmith)
Children play badminton together in the middle of Broadway Street without the worry of traffic. Sanctioned pedestrian zones improved the Carnaval’s road safety, mobility options and economic opportunities. (Curtis DeSmith)

The city of Somerville closed off a half-mile stretch of road along Broadway Street to accommodate the expansive public event. In that space, a pedestrian marketplace stood prominently; revelers browsed clothing, homegoods and arts and crafts while encountering various small businesses from the area. Restaurants along the stretch opened patios and food stalls to entice and refresh the community, serving juices made from fresh produce like coconuts and pineapples or food such as kebab, churrasco or burritos cooked on grills out on the sidewalk.

Pedestrians roam around the bustling street of vendors, moving from tent to tent. Vendors were spaced favorably to provide ample room for clothing racks, products and unique offerings. (Curtis DeSmith)
A gymnast from Esh Circus Arts performs stunts for a crowd. From McGrath Highway to Pennsylvania Avenue, stages were spaced out for scheduled performances. (Curtis DeSmith)
A vendor rapidly prepares coconuts and pineapples. Dozens of local restaurants sold fresh produce and drinks amid the humid weather. (Curtis DeSmith)
Tulum Mexican Cuisine serves a growing line of customers for lunch. Restaurants on Broadway Street opened outdoor seating for patrons to enjoy shaded refreshments. (Curtis DeSmith)
A performer leads the Grooversity music ensemble to perpetuate the crowd’s spirit. Dozens of audience members cheered as performances occurred throughout the afternoon. (Curtis DeSmith)

Families selected from a multitude of activities showcased at different tents. Some tents held competitions between visitors, while others taught a variety of artistic exercises. Across three stages, a number of ensembles presented different Latin dances and performed shows, engaging the public throughout the day. By focusing on the interchange of cultural practices during the Carnaval, the community was able to grow and learn together.

A demonstrator lifts a “strongman” weight with ease for RX Strength Training. Many local businesses advertised their specialties to the public when they normally could not have such a large platform. (Curtis DeSmith)
Artists work together to press colorful prints at the New Impressions pop-up tent. Many vendor tents had interactive displays for people to learn about what was offered. (Curtis DeSmith)
At the Harvard Museums of Science & Culture street tent, a vendor demonstrates how to use a Mexican metate to grind corn. The Carnaval displayed cultural practices for the education of the community. (Curtis DeSmith)
A street vendor displays jewelry for browsers to sift through. Many crafts sold at the Carnaval were handmade by local artisans as part of the Somerville Arts Council. (Curtis DeSmith)