Crime Log

By Mike Napolitano

Crime Log entries are selected from Northeastern’s Division of Public Safety reports.

Tuesday, Sept. 30

9:30 a.m.

A parking attendant in the Columbus Parking Lot reported a car with a forged decal and the car was towed. The owner of the car later identified himself as an undergraduate student, and admitted that he photocopied his roommate’s parking decal. He had to pay about $100 to get his car out of the tow lot and will be reported to the Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution (OSCCR).

Wednesday, Oct. 1

11:30 a.m.

A graduate student reported his wallet missing after he had fallen asleep at a study table in Snell Library. The wallet was taken from his open backpack between noon and 4 p.m. Tuesday. He reported it stolen the next day when he discovered his credit cards had been used five times for over $1,000 in purchases. The wallet also contained some cash and a driver’s license.

Thursday, Oct. 2

11:00 a.m.

A student reported she had been threatened by her roommate, also a student, in a private apartment they leased together off campus with a third student. She did not want to file criminal charges on him at the time, but was granted a restraining order. She chose to move out to another apartment, and the man will be reported to OSCCR.

1 p.m.

A graduate student reported that while he and his roommate were in the living room of their apartment on 774 Columbus Avenue, they heard a noise in the kitchen and found a man who had climbed in through an open window. The man ran out the front door and escaped before police arrived.

10:30 p.m.

A student reported that, while on Huntington Avenue, he was approached by a man demanding $10. The student ignored him, and the man slapped him on the shoulder. The student called a nearby officer over and pointed out the man who had slapped him. The officer questioned the man, who was 29 years old, drunk and homeless. He said he didn’t remember hitting anyone or demanding money, and apologized to the student. The officer then sent him on his way.

11:30 p.m.

A student reported that while she was at a study table on the third floor of Snell Library, she saw a man lean down and holding a small mirror to look under her dress. She yelled at him, and he ran out of the library and was gone before police arrived. She described him to be in his 40s, wearing rectangular glasses with a very short haircut. The Northeastern University Division of Public Safety (NUPD) said an investigation is ongoing.

Friday, Oct. 3

2:30 a.m.

A NUPD officer found a student passed out on a bench on Hemenway Street near Symphony Road. The officer learned he was 18 years old and heavily intoxicated. He was taken to Boston Medical Center by ambulance, and will be reported to OSCCR.

Sunday, Oct. 5

1 a.m.

BPD officers requested NUPD assistance at a party on Gainsborough Street. A large number of students refused to show their ID, until NUPD arrived. Police found large amounts of beer and drinking games set up. Two 20-year-old residents acknowledged they had hosted the party, and two other residents fled before police arrived. Some other people were found hiding in closets and a bathroom as well. The two students hosting the party will be summonsed to court for possession of alcohol by a minor and disorderly conduct. The two residents who left may be summonsed as well. About a dozen Northeastern students that were there will be reported to OSCCR.

2:15 a.m.

BPD officers requested NUPD assistance at a party at 24 Westland Ave., apartment 19. Police were taking names of numerous people when NUPD arrived to assist. A 22-year-old student admitted he hosted the party, and will be summonsed to court for disturbing the peace. There were about 20 guests, most of whom were under 21, and about half who were Northeastern students. All the Northeastern students will be reported to OSCCR.

3 a.m.

NUPD officers observed a man climbing through a ground floor window into Smith Hall. When officers got to the window, someone pulled the shade down. Officers went inside and asked the resident of that room where the man who came into the window was. A man who said he was a resident, told NUPD no one came in, but eventually found and identified him as a visitor. The visitor said he had lost his wallet and could not sign in without an ID. The visitor was escorted off campus and told he would be arrested for trespassing if he returned. The resident of the Smith Hall room will be reported to OSCCR.

2 p.m.

BPD officers received a report of someone firing a projectile from a slingshot out a window from Davenport A. Police arrived and confiscated the slingshot from a 20-year-old male student, and he will be reported to OSCCR. BPD may charge him criminally as well.

4 p.m.

A student in living on St. Stephen Street reported her digital camera and debit card missing. She called to cancel her debit card and learned it had already been used for a mail order purchase. There was no evidence of forced entry, and NUPD is following some leads.

5:30 p.m.

A Snell Library staff member reported a man using a computer to view inappropriate websites. He was identified as an 18-year-old non-student. He was escorted out of the building, and his privileges to use the library have been taken away.

8 p.m.

A NUPD detective went to visit a student, whose name had come up in ongoing investigation in drug dealing, in West Village F. The detective spoke to the student, who admitted that he sold marijuana, but said he only sold it to his friends. The detective confiscated several bongs, a digital scale disguised to look like an ash tray, rolling papers and a fake ID. The student will be reported to OSCCR, and his involvement in the drug investigation will continue and may result in criminal charges.

9:30 p.m.

A Resident Assistant (RA) at Kennedy Hall reported smelling the odor of marijuana coming from a suite. NUPD officers and the RA knocked on the door of the suite and spoke to four male residents. They denied smoking, and there was no evidence of drug use in the room. They claimed the odor came in through the open window from outside, and officers told them to report that if it happens again.