Crime Log

By Michael Napolitano

Crime Log entries are selected from Northeastern’s Division of Public Safety reports.

Tuesday, November 4 3 a.m. A Northeastern University Division of Public Safety (NUPD) officer found a 19-year-old student unconscious in the bushes outside of West Village A. She was intoxicated and taken to Brigham and Women’s Hospital by ambulance. She will be reported to the Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution (OSCCR).

Wednesday, November 5 3:15 p.m. A staff member reported her laptop stolen from a multi-use room on the second floor of Churchill Hall where it had been left for a week.

10:30 p.m. After returning to their apartment on Westland Avenue, two students reported their laptops stolen. NUPD said it appeared that a burglar entered the apartment through an unlocked window by the fire escape. The students had been out since 7:30 p.m.

Thursday, November 6 11:30 a.m. A graduate student reported his desktop computer had been stolen from Hurtig Hall, where he had left it since the previous day.

8 p.m. A Resident Assistant (RA) in Smith Hall called NUPD after smelling marijuana. NUPD and the Resident Director went to the room, and the resident answered the door. He admitted he smokes frequently in the room and told the RD and the officer that many of his friends regularly come to his room to smoke. The officer and the RD confiscated five pipes, and the officer also noticed tape over the smoke detector. The resident will be reported to OSCCR for fire code and drug violations. On Monday, a fire safety officer arrived at the room for a follow-up inspection with the RD, and smelled marijuana when the same student answered the door. Two fans in the window were blowing smoke out of the room, and the resident and his friend, who is also a student, said they had just been smoking cigarettes. The officer found no fire code violations or drugs.

Friday, November 7 2:15 a.m. A proctor at West Village G reported an apparently intoxicated resident had entered the building. Residence staff and NUPD officers located the 21-year-old resident, who was taken to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center by ambulance. He will be reported to OSCCR.

11:30 a.m. A manager at the Marino Center Wollaston’s reported detaining a shoplifter. An NUPD officer responded and identified the shoplifter as a 22-year-old female student who had stolen a carton of green beans. The manager plans to file criminal charges because he suspects she had been shoplifting regularly. She will also be reported to OSCCR.

12:30 p.m. A student reported that a man on the third floor of Snell Library was acting suspiciously and disorderly. NUPD responded and questioned the man, who was identified as 22 years old with no Northeastern affiliation. There was an arrest warrant for him, who officers discovered was Wisly Abel, from the North Hanover Police Department for failure to appear in court for previous motor vehicle offenses. Abel, from Lawrence, was arrested. He claimed he was in the library to use public access computers.

6:30 p.m. An NUPD detective went to Douglass Park to interview a student whose name had come up in an investigation into the use of illegal drugs in residence halls. During the interview, the student admitted he smoked marijuana almost daily in his residence hall and sometimes shares marijuana with friends. He said he purchases large quantities of it, which he said was mostly for his own use. NUPD confiscated more than two ounces of marijuana and several pipes. He will be reported to OSCCR, and NUPD said the investigation will continue and eventually result in criminal charges against the student for at least possession of marijuana and possibly for possession with intent to distribute.

A student reported that his cell phone had been stolen after he left it unattended near the computer desk in the Curry Student Center Crossroads area. After calling it from someone else’s phone, a man answered it and said he would meet the student and return the phone in exchange for $250. An NUPD officer and the student waited nearby the arranged meeting place for an hour and no one showed up. The student canceled his phone service.

7:15 p.m. A student whose car had broken down in the Columbus Lot called for a private tow truck, and when it arrived, a parking attendant refused to let the truck into the lot. The tow truck drove in anyway, and the attendant and tow truck driver got into an argument. NUPD was called and explained the school does not let vehicles in its parking lots without permits.

10 p.m. An 18-year-old student from Stetson West told his RA that his 18-year-old friend, who also lives there, was heavily intoxicated and had passed out in his room after drinking beer and rum. The intoxicated student was barely conscious and taken to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center. He will be reported to OSCCR.

Saturday, November 8 2 a.m. NUPD was called to Hemenway Street near Symphony Road after receiving a report of a fight. Two 20-year-old students reported being attacked and punched by two strangers. While the officers were speaking to them, two men walked out of a nearby building and were pointed out by the students as the men who attacked them. NUPD stopped them for questioning and identified them as a 20- and 21-year-old men with no Northeastern affiliation. They said they had been walking down the street with a female friend when one or both of the students made inappropriate comments directed at the appearance of the female. They said they ignored the students and went to Westland Avenue for pizza. When they returned, however, the students made comments toward the woman again and started a fight. While the officers were interviewing the group, another person interfered with the officer’s investigation, telling the two non-students that they did not have to talk to the officers because “they weren’t real cops.” NUPD told him to go away several times, but he continued to interfere and was arrested for disorderly conduct. John Minelli, a 24-year-old graduate student, will be arraigned in Roxbury District Court this week.

2:15 a.m. A 19-year-old female student from West Village A reported her 19-year-old roommate had been vomiting for two hours after drinking at an off-campus party. The roommate wouldn’t tell officers where the party was or what her friend had drank. She was taken to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and will be reported to OSCCR.

A proctor from Speare Hall reported hearing someone vomiting in the lobby restroom. NUPD located an 18-year-old student who lives in White Hall who was heavily intoxicated. She could not stand and did not know where she was. She was taken to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and will be reported to OSCCR.

11 a.m. Two students living at 16 Westland Ave. in a university-leased apartment reported when they returned home that a laptop and wallet containing a credit card had been stolen. One said she left the night before, and discovered her bedroom blinds pulled up, window open and the light on upon arrival. She said she had left the window closed and the light off and had not locked her window.

6 p.m. A student reported she was being harassed by another student whom she knew and lived with in Stetson East. She reported he had been telling people offensive and embarrassing lies about her. NUPD told him to have no more contact with her. He said he wanted to go apologize, but the officer told him not to and said he would pass the apology on to her.

Sunday, November 9 2 a.m. An NUPD officer saw a backpack on the roof of a car in the Columbus Lot. The officer took the backpack for safe keeping and found it contained 19 cans of beer. A little while later, a 21-year-old man with no Northeastern affiliation came in apparently intoxicated to report someone stole a backpack from the roof of his car. When he was told they had taken it for safe keeping, he accused NUPD of stealing it from him on purpose, and he was told to leave campus. NUPD disposed of the beer.

3 p.m. A student living in West Village F reported being assaulted by her roommate at a party in Douglass Park Saturday night to Residential Life staff, who reported it to NUPD. NUPD asked ResLife staff to urge the student to report the incident to police, but she has not yet.

4 p.m. A student reported his laptop stolen after he put it down in a first floor hallway in Stetson West while participating in a scavenger hunt.

A member of the residence life staff living in Speare Hall reported discovering vulgar, offensive writing on his bedroom door. NUPD is investigating.

5:30 p.m. A student reported his bike stolen from the bike rack in front of Davenport B sometime Saturday night between 7 p.m. and 1 a.m. It had been secured with a cable lock, which was cut.

11 p.m. A student reported his bike had been stolen from outside the Marino Center on the Forsyth Street sidewalk. He had locked it to a bike rack with a combination cable at 6:30 p.m.

Monday, November 10 2 p.m. A manager at the Marino Center Wollaston’s reported he had detained a shoplifter, who NUPD identified as a student. He had paid for one item but tried to leave with something else that he didn’t pay for in his pocket. He will be reported to OSCCR, and is banned from the two Wollaston’s on campus.

8:30 p.m. A student reported his TV had been stolen from his apartment at 109 St. Stephen St. He had been out for a couple of hours and had left his window unlocked and open. NUPD found items on the windowsill knocked over.

Tuesday, November 11 1:30 a.m. An NUPD officer on bike patrol in the Hemenway Street alley came upon people who appeared to be smoking marijuana. Upon questioning, the officer discovered two students, one 19 years old and one 20 years old, were sharing a joint. They were apologetic and said they were afraid they were going to get thrown out of Northeastern because they were awaiting a hearing at OSCCR for a previous drug violation. They said they were using up what marijuana they had left. They will be reported to OSCCR.

2:30 a.m. An RA at Speare Hall reported an intoxicated female passed out with her head in the toilet of the women’s first floor restroom. Upon arrival, NUPD discovered an 18-year-old student who was covered in vomit and somewhat lucid. She said she had been drinking at a nearby bar and denied having a fake ID. She was taken to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center by ambulance and will be reported to OSCCR.

11 a.m. A student reported that on Monday, Nov. 3 she had lost her jacket while walking across campus and carrying it in an open backpack. She was working as a proctor at West Village A on Tuesday, Nov. 11 when a woman walked into the building wearing that jacket. She confronted the woman, who admitted she found the jacket and gave it back. The owner of the jacket noticed her name, which had been sewn into the sleeve, had been torn out and there was a hole in the sleeve. NUPD will follow up to determine if the jacket had been damaged by the student who found it.

3 p.m. A student reported her cell phone stolen after losing it in Snell Library Monday, Nov. 10. She said her cell phone was in her jacket pocket hanging on the chair and she was not sure if she lost it or if it was stolen.

7 p.m. A student reported his credit card information had been stolen after his bill this month showed charges of nearly $10,000 that he did not place. NUPD will investigate.

8 p.m. A student reported someone had been tampering with his bike after he found his front wheel had been loosened several times during the past few weeks. He said he regularly rides his bike to campus and locks it in the Krentzman Quad in front of Richards Hall. He said he has no idea who might want to hurt him.