Crime Log

By Mike Napolitano

Crime Log entries are selected from Northeastern’s Division of Public Safety reports.

Tuesday, October 21

A student reported her backpack missing after leaving it in an unlocked and unattended room in Holmes Hall with the door open for about five minutes. She returned to find her’s and another backpack missing. A laptop and wallet containing $30 and credit cards were in the backpack.

Wednesday, October 22

7 p.m.

A graduate student reported her wallet missing after she had left it unattended on the third floor of Snell library for about 10 minutes. It contained $20, her driver’s license and credit cards

A student reported her flat-screen TV and laptop missing from her apartment at 109 St. Stephen St. after she returned home and found the front door ajar. She and her roommates had left the apartment at 6 p.m. Northeastern University Division of Public Safety (NUPD) said it appeared that a thief came in through the fire escape window and left through the front door.

11 p.m.

A student reported two textbooks missing after she left them unattended in a classroom on the third floor of Ryder Hall for about 30 minutes. The class she attended took a break, and she said she left her belongings in the classroom and left the building.

Thursday, October 23

A manager at the Wollaston’s in the Marino Center called NUPD and said he detained two female shoplifters. NUPD arrived and identified the two shoplifters as 15- and 16-year-old high school students. They had shoplifted candy and a bagel on their way to school. The manager is not pressing criminal charges, and NUPD told the shoplifters they are not allowed back on campus.

12 p.m.

A female freshman student reported being verbally harassed by a male freshman student for weeks. She told NUPD he has also posted harassing material about her on Facebook, and on one occasion he had grabbed and shoved her. NUPD instructed the man not to have any contact with her directly or through a third party, and he will be reported to the Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution (OSCCR). NUPD said the abuse appears to be motivated based on race, and an investigation is ongoing to determine whether the man committed any hate crimes.

1 p.m.

A student living at Douglass Park in a ground floor apartment found a window screen removed. The riser restrictor prevented the window from opening, and nothing was found missing from his apartment. NUPD said it appeared to be an attempted burglary.

6 p.m.

A student working in the Architecture Studio next to Ruggles MBTA station reported his laptop stolen after he left it unattended for about 10 minutes. Students working at the studio had left one of the exterior doors propped open.

11 p.m.

A student reported money stolen from her wallet after she left it unattended for a couple of minutes on the third floor of Ell Hall. NUPD said they are investigating.

Friday, October 24

10 a.m.

A faculty member reported finding the door of his office open and his eyeglasses missing. He said he had locked the door the night before. NUPD said the office appeared to be ransacked as if somebody was looking for something.

Saturday, October 25

2 a.m.

NUPD found a man vomiting on the sidewalk in front of 70 St. Stephen St. After questioning, officers found he was an intoxicated 20-year-old student. He was taken to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and will be reported to OSCCR.

10 p.m.

A Resident Assistant (RA) at Douglass Park smelled marijuana on the seventh floor of the building and called NUPD for assistance. Officers found the apartment from which the smell was coming, and inside were five male students and a female guest from Emmanuel College. NUPD confiscated a bong, beer and vodka. Three of the residents and the female admitted they had been smoking, while the two others claimed they had not. All five residents were under the age of 21 and will be reported to OSCCR. NUPD will notify the authorities at Emmanuel College about the female, who was told she is not welcome back to the campus.

Sunday, October 26

An RA at Speare Hall called NUPD for assistance after finding an 18-year old student vomiting in the men’s room. After questioning, officers determined he lives in another residence hall. He said he had been drinking with a friend who lives in Speare Hall. He will be reported to OSCCR and was allowed to stay in his friend’s room for the night.

An NUPD officer at 716 Columbus Ave. was going through a wallet from the lost and found belonging to an 18-year-old freshman and found that it contained a driver’s license belonging to a 22-year-old. When the student came to retrieve the wallet, she was questioned and said she was holding it for her sister, who had left it here after a visit. NUPD reached the student’s sister by phone, who was surprised her younger sister had it. She said she had left it at their home and didn’t know her sister had taken the ID. The student will be reported to OSCCR.

Monday, October 27

10 a.m.

A staff member at the Snell Engineering Center reported her laptop missing after she left her office unlocked and unattended for about 10 minutes.

A graduate student reported his credit card and some cash stolen from his wallet after leaving it in an unlocked and unattended office in the Snell Engineering Center. He said he left it there sometime last week between Tuesday and Saturday, but didn’t realize anything was missing until Saturday. The credit card had already been used to purchase more than $1,000 of merchandise at Circuit City.