Crime Log

By Mike Napolitano

Crime Log entries are selected from Northeastern’s Division of Public Safety reports.

Tuesday, November 18 12:30 p.m. A manager of Wollaston’s in the Marino Center reported detaining a shoplifter. The Northeastern University Division of Public Safety (NUPD) responded and found a 13-year-old junior high school student who tried to steal candy while on a field trip. She was turned over to her chaperones.

2:30 p.m. A 19-year-old student reported his backpack was stolen after he left it unattended for 10 minutes on the third floor of the Curry Student Center. It contained an iPod, calculator and textbook.

3:30 p.m. A student reported her credit card number had been used for fraudulent purchases. She said she last used it to order pizza from a nearby restaurant that delivers to campus. NUPD suspects someone at the pizza shop saw her credit card number and used it.

6:30 p.m. NUPD responded to an alarm that indicated a tampering with a fire alarm in West Village H. Officers arrived at the apartment and found a 19-year-old student had removed the smoke detector after burning food. He will be reported to the Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution (OSCCR).

Wednesday, November 19 12:30 a.m. A Resident Assistant (RA) reported smelling marijuana in Melvin Hall. NUPD and the RA knocked on the door and discovered three 18-year-old residents had just finished smoking. They will be reported to OSCCR.

6 a.m. A Boston resident and member of the Marino Center reported her iPod had been stolen her cut from the women’s locker room two days earlier at about 7:15 a.m. She said she had left it unattended on a bench.

10:30 p.m. A student reported losing her cell phone on campus earlier in the day and said it may have fallen out of her pocket while she was walking through the West Village quad.

Thursday, November 20 4 p.m. A graduate student reported his wallet stolen in the Snell Library Cyber Cafe. He left it unattended several times from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. It contained credit cards and cash. 9:30 p.m A student reported her wallet stolen after she left it in the fifth floor women’s restroom in White Hall. It contained her license, credit cards and cash.

Friday, November 21 2:45 a.m. A person discharged a fire extinguisher in the third floor hallway of White Hall. The building was evacuated, and it is unclear who set the alarm off.

6:30 p.m. A proctor at White Hall reported a person who was signed in was listed on the all-campus trespass warning list. Officers went to his host’s room and arrested Jason Gravell, a 19-year-old former student, for trespassing. He was banned in November for being intoxicated at an on-campus party and passing out in a bathroom.

8 p.m. Officers saw a person stumbling out a back door of Matthews Arena during a hockey game, bleeding from a scalp wound. They identified him as an intoxicated 18-year-old student who probably fell down the stairs. He was taken to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and will be reported to OSCCR.

9 p.m. Officers saw a pair of men carrying a nearly unconscious woman out of Matthews Arena during a hockey game. She was a 24-year-old visitor accompanied by an alumnus and another man, and reportedly passed out in her seat during the game due to intoxication. She was taken to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center.

Saturday, November 22 12:30 a.m. An NUPD officer found an 18-year-old student smoking marijuana on Opera Place with a Boston University student. The student turned over one-eighth of an ounce of marijuana and will be reported to OSCCR.

11 p.m. An RA in White Hall reported a drinking party discovered by residence hall staff and requested NUPD assistance because of a large crowd in the room. NUPD found four 18-year-old students, one of which was a resident, with an empty beer ball. Nine other students had already been identified by the RA and left before NUPD arrived. They will all be reported to OSCCR.

Sunday, November 23 1:30 a.m. An RA found a 20-year-old student passed out in an elevator from intoxication at 780 Columbus Ave. He was taken to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and will be reported to OSCCR.

2 a.m. Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center called NUPD to report someone bringing a 17-year-old student into the emergency room heavily intoxicated. An officer responded and identified her. She will be reported to OSCCR.

3:30 a.m. An RA reported a 19-year-old student had been vomiting for two hours from intoxication in Davenport A. Her roommate notified the RA. She was taken to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and will be reported to OSCCR.

7:15 p.m. The Boston Police Department (BPD) called NUPD requesting they respond to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, where a student’s girlfriend had been brought in with symptoms of a serious concussion. She said she had been kicked in the head by her boyfriend’s roommate in Davenport A while roughhousing two days earlier. Her boyfriend’s roommate, who is a student, said he kicked her in response to her biting his arm. NUPD said the student’s girlfriend and her family may press charges. The student who kicked her will be reported to OSCCR.

Monday, November 24 2:45 a.m. NUPD responded to Davenport B after receiving a report of a fight. A 20-year-old resident reported he was in his room when his 18-year-old roommate came home. The 20-year-old was watching TV when his roommate arrived with a female and shut off the TV and lights. The 20-year-old turned them back on and the 18-year-old then pulled the power cord out of the wall. The 20-year-old said that when he got up to put the cord back in his roommate assaulted him. The roommate then left with the woman, who NUPD identified and contacted by looking at who the 18-year-old resident had signed in. She was a student in another residence hall and admitted she witnessed the assault. She called her boyfriend at the request of NUPD, and he said he was at Snell Library. NUPD arrived at the library and arrested Brendan Kutz for assault and battery. Kutz was moved out of Davenport B after going to court that afternoon and has been put in a temporary residence hall.

10 a.m. A staff member reported a ceiling projector missing from a classroom in the Behrakis Center.

6 p.m. NUPD detectives went to Melvin Hall to meet with a student whose name had come up in an ongoing drug investigation. The student admitted he was a regular marijuana user and turned over a blunt, baggies and other paraphanelia. He will be reported to OSCCR.

Saturday, November 29 5:30 a.m. Student residents of an apartment on the third floor of 106 St. Stephen St, one floor below a party NUPD investigated, reported about a dozen Playstation games stolen after returning from Thanksgiving break.

Sunday, November 30 12 p.m. Two students living in an apartment on Huntington Avenue returned from break and found an iPod and some jewelry missing. They reported leaving a rear window open. NUPD has a video of the thief leaving through the front door carrying a shopping bag that was also stolen.

3:30 p.m. A student living at 16 Westland Ave. reported jewelry stolen after she returned from break and discovered she had left her window open.