Northeastern Crime Log

By Matt Nielsen

Crime Log entries are selected from Northeastern’s Division of Public Safety reports.

Monday, November 14 3 p.m. Residential Life staff from Stetson East reported the first and fourth floor smoke detectors had been tampered with.

Tuesday, November 15 12:30 a.m. An 18-year-old female student reported her cell phone stolen Nov. 10. She believes she lost it at a restaurant on Huntington Avenue.

2 a.m. An anonymous caller reported marijuana use in an apartment at Davenport Commons. Officers and ResLife staff spoke to a 21-year-old male resident who admitted to smoking in his room. He claims he flushed the rest down the toilet when the police arrived. He has been reported to the Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution (OSCCR).

8 p.m. A 22-year-old female student reported her bike stolen from Krentzman Quad. Her cable lock had been cut in half.

Wednesday, November 16 1 a.m. A 20-year-old male student reported his backpack had been stolen from the Marino Center locker room. Half an hour later, Boston Police arrested a man in a stolen car, who had the stolen backpack in his possession. The property was returned to the student.

1:45 p.m. Snell Library staff refused to admit a man who had been previously ejected for disorderly conduct. When police came to remove him, he was arrested for disorderly conduct. Jean Clerveau, 31, was arraigned the following day at Roxbury District Court.

2:30 p.m. A male graduate student reported a suspicious person loitering in the men’s room of the Mugar Life Sciences Building. He was gone before officers arrived.

10 p.m. A large argument was reported in Speare Hall after two 18-year-old males made inappropriate comments. Once officers arrived, the group dispersed and one of the instigators apologized.

11:30 p.m. ResLife staff from White Hall called about an argument between two groups of students. One student claimed to have been assaulted. Others denied an assault had occurred. ResLife is mediating the dispute.

Thursday, November 17 9 p.m. A 22-year-old female student left her wallet on a tray and placed the tray in the conveyer in the Stetson East food court. It was accidentally thrown away.

Friday, November 18 8 p.m. An 18-year-old male student reported he was robbed near the Wentworth Institute of Technology. Wentworth Police apprehended one of the two suspects and the student’s property was returned.

Saturday, November 19 12:30 a.m. A resident assistant from Speare Hall found an 18-year-old female passed out in her own vomit. She was taken to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and will be reported to OSCCR.

1:30 a.m. A West Village B resident called about her 20-year-old roommate, who was intoxicated and vomiting. She was taken to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and will be reported to OSCCR.

2:30 a.m. A proctor at 780 Columbus Ave. reported a student smashed a window and door because his card wouldn’t swipe. The proctor would not let him in without proper identification. He eventually produced valid identification and was allowed in. He will be reported to OSCCR.

4 p.m. An 18-year-old female resident of Stetson West reported she was assaulted by her 18-year-old ex-boyfriend when he came to pick up some of his belongings. She refused to let him in, but another resident signed him in, even though they did not know who he was. The student who signed him in will be reported to OSCCR.

Sunday, November 20 12:30 a.m. A Northeastern University police officer was speaking with a Gainsborough Street security officer when they heard a window break. A window at 115 Gainsborough St. had been broken. Both officers pursued the men, who fled to a 21-year-old female student’s party. The two men were identified as a 20-year-old Northeastern student and a 20-year-old UMass-Amherst student. They admitted they just wanted to go to the party, but had not been buzzed in. They agreed to pay for damage, and the Northeastern student will be reported to OSCCR.

Monday, November 21 11:30 a.m. A 21-year-old female student reported that on the previous Friday she had locked her bike to the fence on World Series Way. When she came back the next morning, her bike was gone but the lock was still attached to the fence.

6:30 p.m. A 19-year-old male student reported that while walking through The Fenway on his way to class he was accosted by an intoxicated elderly man who stole his cell phone.

Tuesday, November 22 3:30 a.m. ResLife staff at Stetson West reported someone discharged a fire extinguisher in one of the corridors.

11 a.m. Staff members at Shillman Hall reported fresh graffiti on the walls in the first floor men’s room.

1 p.m. A 20-year-old male reported his cell phone stolen after he left it unattended in the Curry Student Center. He negotiated a reward for its return, but the person who stole the phone didn’t show up to make the exchange.

1:30 p.m. A 19-year-old male student at 136 Hemenway St. reported he had been assaulted by his 19-year-old male roommate in a dispute over the volume of their TV. He also said they had not been getting along for some time. OSCCR and ResLife staff will mediate. No criminal charges are anticipated.

2 p.m. The manager of Douglass Park reported during the previous weekend the sixth and seventh floors had been vandalized. Windows, light fixtures and exit signs had been broken and tampered with. The acts were caught on video and there is an ongoing investigation.

Wednesday, November 23 9 a.m. Boston and Northeastern police officers investigated an apartment at 116 Hemenway St. after several windows nearby had been broken by BB gun fire. A 20-year-old resident admitted he had used his BB gun recently, and that it was possible some of his shots had missed their mark. He will be reported to OSCCR and may face criminal charges.

10 p.m. A patrolling officer saw a man shoving, shaking and yelling at a woman on Huntington Avenue. The officer arrested Avinash Daswani, 18, for battery, although the woman, a Northeastern University alumna, refused to press charges of her own. He was arraigned the next day at Roxbury District Court.

Thursday, November 24 4 a.m. A 20-year-old female guest at West Village B called to report her purse had been stolen the night before at a club. She called her cell phone and a male answered. She thought she recognized the voice of a Northeastern student she had been arguing with earlier that evening. Northeastern and Boston Police are still investigating.

5 p.m. An officer on patrol in the Curry Student Center heard noises in the restroom near the bookstore. The officer found a 32-year-old male in a stall. The student center was closed, and nobody was supposed to be inside. The man, identified as Ivan Grozdanov, was uncooperative and belligerent, and was eventually arrested for trespassing. He was also in possession of fake IDs. One of his credit cards belonged to a Northeastern student who had reported her card missing Nov. 18. He was arraigned the next day at Roxbury District Court.

Saturday, November 26 4 p.m. A graduate researcher from the Mugar Life Sciences Building reported a window and door had been broken, and that a computer had been stolen. As an officer was responding, another officer saw a man leaving the building with a computer in a bag. The man fled to Huntington Avenue but officers lost sight of him. They later found the computer on a bus stop bench.

Sunday, November 27 3 p.m. A 19-year-old female student returned to her room at 116 St. Stephen St. after the holiday to find her window was open and two laptops were missing. She had apparently left the window unlocked when she left for Thanksgiving.