Event Calendar: Thursday, Sept. 27 – Wednesday, Oct. 3

Jim Getchell

Jim Getchell

Jim Getchell

Compiled by Claire Wallace, deputy lifestyle editor

Photo Courtesy Creative Commons

Thursday, Sept. 27, Closing Celebration: We Wanted a Revolution

Join the Institute of Contemporary Art as they say farewell to their traveling exhibition, “We Wanted a Revolution,” focusing on revolutionary African American women. The closing celebration will allow guests one last look at the art while featuring several guest speakers, free yoga and meditation sessions and a playlist created by the founding director of Harvard’s HipHop Archive and Research Institute. Speakers include artist Dindga McCannon, Art Curator Jessica Hong and co-founders of the Combahee River Collective, Beverly and Barbara Smith. Free tickets are available here: 5 p.m.- 9 p.m.; The Institute of Contemporary Art Boston; Free.   

Photo courtesy Creative Commons

Friday, Sept. 28, ASU Presents: A Night With Poreotics 

ASU will welcome the five members of the dance crew Poreotics to campus to showcase their talents and take part in a Q&A on Asian representation in popular culture. Poreotics is a famous hip-hop dance crew from Westminster, California who were previously crowned champions of “America’s Best Dance Crew.” The group has performed on both national and international levels, winning many championships including Hip-Hop Internationals. Get your tickets on MyNortheastern. 6:30 p.m.- 9 p.m.; Fenway Center; Free for students.

Saturday, Sept. 29, Tastemakers Presents: Tancred & Queen of Jeans

Photo courtesy Creative Commons

Come to Curry AfterHours this Saturday to check out a special concert featuring alternative indie singer Tancred and alternative group Queen of Jeans. Both artists have LPs available on Spotify and YouTube. Doors for the show will open at 6:30, with the concert beginning at 7:30. Tickets are available on MyNortheastern on a first-come-first-serve basis.  6:30 p.m.- 10 p.m.; Curry Student Center Afterhours; Free with student ID.

Sunday, Sept. 30, Boston Women’s Market//One Year Anniversary Market 

Photo courtesy Creative Commons

Boston is full of weekend art and farmers market, but this one has a special focus: art created by female-identifying individuals. Join Boston Women’s Market as they celebrate their one-year anniversary. The market will feature art by more than 30 female-identifying artists all available for purchase. There will also be opportunities to make your own bracelet, get a Henna tattoo, create a do-it-yourself collage and even have a professional LinkedIn headshot taken by photographer Nicole Hailer. Get your free ticket here: 12:30 p.m.- 4:30 p.m.; District Hall; Free.

Photo courtesy Creative Commons

Monday, Oct. 1, Free Sunset Cruise to Boston Light 

Have an interest in learning more about the marine environment and the history of lighthouses? Save the Harbor/Save the Bay is sponsoring a free cruise to watch the sunset over Boston and get a chance to see the Boston Light up close. Save the Harbor/Save the Bay is a nonprofit group focused on the preservation of Boston Harbor and the marine environment to share with the public for their enjoyment. Eric Jay Dolin, author of “Brilliant Beacons: A History of American Lighthouses,” will be speaking on lighthouse history and signing copies of his book aboard the cruise. 5:30 p.m.- 7:30 p.m.; World Trade Center Dock; Free.

Tuesday, Oct. 2, Shear Madness: America’s Favorite Comedy Whodunit 

Photo courtesy Creative Commons

If you love improvisation and murder mysteries, then this is the show for you! Shear Madness, listed in the Guiness Book of World Records as the longest running play, has been entertaining crowds worldwide for years. Help the cast as they solve a murder mystery with a slightly different plot night after night. This show promises big laughs and lots of audience engagement. 8:00 p.m.; Charles Playhouse Stage II; $56 per ticket.

Wednesday, Oct. 3, Founder’s Day Celebration 

Photo courtesy Creative Commons

Happy 120th birthday, Northeastern! Join students and alumni alike on Snell Quad to celebrate Northeastern’s day of founding in an afternoon of fun put on by the Office of Alumni Relations.  Enjoy cupcakes, take photos with the Northeastern mascot Paws and sign a birthday card for NU. This event is the perfect way to celebrate your university with Huskies of all generations.  12 p.m.- 2:00 p.m.; Snell Library Quad; Free.