Women’s basketball ends three-game losing streak, defeats Delaware, 75-62

Sophomore+guard+Stella+Clark+fends+off+a+University+of+Delaware+defender+Saturday%2C+January+20+in+Matthews+Arena.+

Riley Robinson

Sophomore guard Stella Clark fends off a University of Delaware defender Saturday, January 20 in Matthews Arena.

Vincent van Oorschot, news correspondent

Northeastern returned to winning form on Sunday after earning its third win in CAA play and once again reached a .500 winning percentage in the league after defeating Delaware, 75-62 at Matthews Arena.

The Huskies (13-4, 3-3 CAA) went into the game looking to erase a bit of negative history for the program as they hadn’t won a game at Matthews Arena since November 28th, 2009. Of course, they play almost all their home games across campus at the Cabot Center.

Good first-half shooting by senior guard Jess Genco and good second-half rebounding by senior Gabby Giacone and sophomore Stella Clark headlined the game’s major trends, and also gave the Huskies a good amount of momentum heading into their next road trip.

The Huskies started well, but Delaware (6-11, 1-4 CAA) found a 6-0 run midway through the quarter.. But thanks to Genco’s eight-point first quarter, the Huskies were able to regain the lead heading into the first break, leading 19-18.

Three straight threes by Genco set the tone in the second, giving the Huskies a 9-0 run to start the quarter.

Thanks to 59 percent shooting from the field, the Huskies led 44-35, after a solid first-half on all fronts. Genco finished her first half with 25 points, tying the program record with seven threes before the break.

After a strong left-handed finger-roll by Giacone three minutes into the third, the Huskies were able to attain their first double-digit lead of the game.

Good overall defense by the Blue Hens restricted Genco to just three points in the third quarter. But Giacone and junior guard Shannon Todd backed their teammate up with scoring and board-work. Giacone, at the end of three quarters, had 12 points under her belt along with four rebounds. Todd had four rebounds and six points at the end of the third as the Huskies held a 65-56 lead.

Rebounds were a focal point for the team in the last quarter and the game as a whole as NU won the boards 33-19. The Huskies were led on the glass by Giacone who finished the game close to a double-double (12 points and eight rebounds), Clark (seven rebounds) and Todd (six rebounds).

Delaware was restricted to six points in the final quarter, which finished off a sound performance by the Huskies in all facets of the game.

A goal of this season for the team is to keep opponents under 60 points in each game, and with Delaware only scoring 62 Sunday, coach Kelly Cole was pleased with the defensive effort toward the end of the game.

“That was a big step for us, and six points in the fourth quarter is fantastic for our defensive mentality,” Cole said post-game.

This win by the Huskies improves their record to 3-3 in CAA play, their first win since the William & Mary game on Jan. 6.

Genco, who tied Northeastern’s single-game 3-pointer record (seven), was one of the players who was glad to get the monkey off the team’s back and get back into the win column after Friday’s buzzer-beater defeat against Drexel.

“It felt great, especially because Friday was a bit of a heartbreaker for us, and I think we came in with the mentality that we were gonna really make the defense work,” Genco said.

The Huskies hit the road again to take on Hofstra (6-12, 0-6 CAA) in New York on Jan. 27 in what is the first of a three-game road trip to continue league play.