NU Makers Club lets students pursue their artistic passions

Muhammad Elarbi

NEU Makers Club members work on their projects during the Lo-fi Prototyping Workshop.

Christopher Kelly, news staff

The Northeastern University Makers Club is a group that brings together students who have a passion for creative design. The club has been meeting for two years, but just became officially recognized by NU this semester.

“Our main objective is to help facilitate making on campus, and in the process of doing that connect students with the resources to do so,” said Parker Steele, a third-year psychology major and the president of the Makers Club. “Whether it be tool resources like laser cutters, 3D printers, or just connecting them to the right faculty, we want to help further the makers’ culture on campus.”

Steele said the club is open to any student looking to be creative and that any sort of art can be explored.

“People think making is limited, but as a club we actually broaden the limits of what making can be. We work with really any type of art, cooking, or really any creative expression,” Steele said.  

“A lot of the members are all over the place with students from the College of Arts, Media and Design, engineering and computer science.”

The Makers Club schedules trips to community artistic workshops like Artisan’s Asylum and Diablo Glass, where lessons are taught at the interest of current members.

“We are a club that’s by members and for members, with all of our workshops being taught by members,” Steele said.

Previous trips have focused on marble making and other design methods.

“A lot of kids want to make things but get hit with red tape whenever they need to use machines,” Steele said. “We help them gain access through the club and get access to those resources.”

Joseph Annis, a third-year computer science and design major and vice president of the Makers Club, has noticed the growth in new membership and in the passions of the members.

“The evolution of Makers Club has been amazing to see as we get more members and see them come together to work on their projects,” Annis said. “It’s good to see people having the confidence after joining the club to fill in the spots that we will leave when we eventually graduate. They want to pick up any slack so the experience can be as good for other people as it was for them when they first joined.”

Marie Yatsyk, a fifth-year computer science and interactive design major and the scheduling coordinator and secretary for the Makers Club, commented on the inclusivity of the club and how close all of the members have become in the short time that they have been on campus.

“We want to make sure that people have a platform where they can not only make but show off their projects to people who can help them if they’re stuck,” Yatsyk said. “We want to be an inclusive club for these people.”

Students who join the Makers Club have the opportunity to showcase their artistic talent and teach others about their passion for creative design.

“The exciting thing about people joining is that they can teach workshops on things that they’re passionate about,” Yatsyk said. “Even if they’re not particularly skilled at presenting, they can show off their technical skills and confidently teach people who are interested. I think that’s what makes this club so great.”