Women’s basketball knocked off by Dayton, drop to 0-3

Muhammad Elarbi

Junior guard Stella Clark goes for a layup in a game against Delaware last season.

Niyati Parikh, news correspondent

Coming off a challenging loss to the Oregon Ducks last week, the Huskies faced Jenna Giacone, younger sister of Northeastern Women’s Basketball alumna Gabby Giacone, and the Dayton Flyers Saturday.

Although the Huskies outshot the Flyers 65-52, the final score favored the Flyers, 71-60, dropping the Huskies to 0-3 on the season.

Sophomore forward Alexis Hill opened the gates for the Huskies with a slow roll-around-the-rim that dropped in for two. A minute later, junior guard Stella Clark knocked down a reverse layup to counter a Dayton bucket.

A triple made by both teams pushed the score to 15-10, with Dayton in charge and the Huskies looking to cut the deficit. The fast-paced first quarter ended with a score of 17-13, Dayton up.

Dayton opened the scoring to start the second quarter and eventually grew their lead to eight points before NU sophomore forward Kendall Currence scored her first basket three minutes in to reduce the margin to six, 21-15.

On the hunt, Hill nabbed the rebound of a missed layup by Clark and sank a 2-pointer. She then made a breakaway layup with an assist and rebound by Currence from the Dayton paint. This was immediately countered by a 3-pointer from redshirt-sophomore forward Erin Whalen of the Flyers. Whalen then went on to end the first half of the contest with a buzzer-beating layup to make it 32-24, with Dayton holding onto the lead.

Going into the second half, the Huskies needed to find a way to shut down Whalen, who led the Flyers with 12 points to her name.

The third quarter started aggressively, as both teams generated a total of five fouls with no points scored in the first two minutes. Senior guard Jayla Scaife sank a triple to start the scoring for the Flyers.

With the abundance of fouls during the game, players in trouble going into the fourth included Dublin and Hill for the Huskies and Bradshaw, Whitehead and Whalen for the Flyers.

“Their inside game is their strength, tonight they hit threes. We took away their number one [Bradshaw], and they did a good job about knocking down the shots we gave them”, said Northeastern head coach Kelly Cole.

The Flyers started the fourth quarter with a comfortable lead over the Huskies and only added to that with a 6-2 run over the first two minutes.

The Huskies did not give up, however, as Hill forced back-to-back and-1s on her respective drives, cutting the lead to 54-40. Clark then made a reverse layup, decreasing the lead to 15 points. Todd stole a ball that led to a layup by Clark before sinking a triple with 36 seconds left in the game. The late-game explosion proved futile, as the Flyers picked up the win, 71-60.

“It’s going to be a process, we have a lot of moving pieces since we’re a young team with five freshmen. We’re going to keep growing into it,” Cole said.

Double digit scorers for the Huskies were Clark (17), Hill (16) and Todd (14). Hill also added nine rebounds.

The Huskies face Fordham, a team they beat last season, away Wednesday.