No. 11 Men’s hockey stretches win streak to three games

File photo by Brian Bae

NU sophomore center Tyler Madden (9) shoots the puck during NU’s home opener against UMass on Oct. 15.

George Barker, sports editor

The Northeastern men’s hockey team, which has now won eight of its last nine games, took down the Bentley Falcons last night, 4-2.

The Huskies (13-5-2, 7-4-1 HEA) have been putting on an offensive show as of late, and haven’t failed to reach three goals since a Nov. 15th game against Providence. Superstar centerman Tyler Madden continued his torrid scoring pace Monday, tallying one goal and racking up two assists. The sophomore sits third in the NCAA scoring race with 29 points. 

While the Huskies were outshot considerably by the Falcons (8-11-1, 6-9-0 Atlantic Hockey), fifth-year senior netminder Craig Pantano continued to stand on his head, stopping 26 of 28 shots in the victory. The Huskies only managed 17 shots of their own, but Falcon freshman goalie Fraser Kirk was not up to the task, managing a save percentage of just .764. 

Freshman forward Aidan McDonough continued his stellar rookie season for Northeastern, as he opened the scoring late in the first period with a power-play goal. Bentley matched McDonough’s goal early in the second, and when Madden scored soon after, the Falcons again fired back to leave the game tied 2-2 as it winded down.

However, the Huskies finally took firm control in the 18th minute of the third. Senior forward Matt Filipe and junior forward Zach Solow each scored, with Solow finding the twine less than 30 seconds after Filipe gave the Huskies the lead. 

The Huskies travel to Durham, New Hampshire, Saturday to take on the UNH Wildcats (10-8-1, 4-5-0 HEA).