Women’s basketball climbs CAA standings with successful weekend

Nina Ellery Oliveira

Senior forward Ayanna Dublin takes a jumper during a game against South Dakota earlier this season.

Niyati Parikh, news correspondent

The Northeastern women’s basketball team had a sweep this weekend, winning against Elon University 68-65 in OT Friday and against the College of William & Mary 61-55 Sunday. 

Northeastern vs Elon University

Sophomore forward Alexis Hill’s double-double of 17 points and 16 rebounds helped edge out Elon (9-8, 4-2CAA) as they move up in the CAA standings. The Huskies (8-8, 4-1 CAA)  had a stellar first quarter as they opened the floodgates by going on a 13-0 run, not allowing any baskets from Elon for the first eight minutes of the game. With an amazing buzzer-beater from beyond halfcourt, junior Elon guard Saadia Munford cut the lead as the quarter ended 16-8. 

Over the course of the game, Elon continued to fight to reduce the deficit. A poor third quarter by the Huskies, where they were outscored 8-15, led to a score of 40-37 going into the final quarter. 

With NU down a point and 32 seconds left in the game, sophomore guard Katie May fed senior guard Shannon Todd the go-ahead triple. However, sophomore guard Kendall Currence was unable to put away the game in regular time as she missed both free throws. Even though the game was in overtime, Hill shot well from the free-throw line, sunk both attempts back to back and gave the Huskies a 4-point lead. Huskies ended the game up, 68-65. 

Other leading scorers for the Huskies were Todd (18), junior guard Stella Clark (15), and freshman forward Mide Oriyomi (10). 

Northeastern vs the College of William & Mary 

Despite Clark scoring 22 points, the Huskies got off to a poor start against the Tribe (12-5, 3-3 CAA) leaving them down 11-3 with 2 minutes left in the first quarter. A late Husky run and Todd’s buzzer-beater brought up the Huskies score and left them down by just one bucket, 12-14. 

The Huskies continued to be outscored in the second quarter as they were down 20-27 at the half. Despite this deficit, the Huskies seemed to be a new team with undeniable energy as they burst the gates open in the second half of the game. 

A rebound off her own shot gave Hill two more points under her name as she cut the lead to four points. Todd then sank a triple to tie the game at 33. The Huskies took the lead as a bouncing ball off the rim dropped in favor of May. 

With less than a minute to go, freshman guard, Century McCartney secured the rebound off of Hill’s missed shot, made the layup and her own and-one in the process, leaving the Huskies on top, 43-36. The Huskies left the third quarter shooting a field goal percentage of 64 percent.  

“At halftime, the score is 0-0, we don’t keep our head down, we don’t give up, we keep fighting,” said McCartney about the play. “Coach prides us on rebounds and boxing out, I have to come in and help in any way I can and I know getting that was going to be a big rebound for us and I had to go and get it.” 

The fourth quarter proved to be high stakes as lead changes and ties peppered the game. Despite a tie with a little over 2 minutes left, a deep triple by Clark secured the game for the Huskies for good as they retook the lead. The Huskies went on to win 61-55. 

Hill secured her fourth straight double-double finishing with 18 points and 10 rebounds. McCartney had a huge game for herself as she set season highs in points (7) and rebounds (10), as well as free throws, made (5-5).

“We only had eight people ready to play today, two of them being upperclassmen. The young kids have to get a lot of minutes now and they’ve stepped up,” said head coach Kelly Cole. “Defensively, tonight Century [McCartney] came in and had some huge boards. We’ve been talking all year long about staying true to the process, the freshmen are inevitably going to get their shot and you have to be ready for it, and tonight she was.”

The Tribe’s sophomore guard Eva Hodgson completed an amazing feat against the Huskies as she has now gone 18 straight games scoring in double figures, which ties the Division I William and Mary record for a double-figure scoring streak. 

The Huskies head into next weekend with two away games at Towson (8-8, 3-2 CAA) on Friday and James Madison (13-3, 4-1 CAA), who are on top of the standings, on Sunday.