Huskies swept by Alabama in opening weekend

Riley Robinson

Baseball plays the second game of a doubleheader against Holy Cross Saturday, March 16, 2019 at Parsons Field.

Jordan Baron, news staff

In what most likely is the worst way for a team to begin a season, the Northeastern baseball team was swept by Alabama in three games, outscored 24-3 across the weekend.

The Huskies (0-3) racked up only eight hits in the opening two games, in which they were shutout both times by the Crimson Tide (3-0), who came out swinging, scoring 10 runs in Friday’s game and eight in Saturday’s. The NU bats began to wake up in the third and final game of the series, scoring three runs on five hits. Still, it proved not to be enough to overpower Alabama, as they lost the game 6-3.

Friday’s game was highlighted by the Alabama hitters. After scoring one a piece in the first and second innings off NU redshirt senior RHP Kyle Murphy, the Crimson Tide powered the bats once more in the third. After a leadoff triple from sophomore infielder Drew Williamson and a subsequent single by freshman infielder Zane Denton scored a third run, Husky head-coach Mike Glavine had seen enough.

Senior reliever David Stiehl was subbed in, but the bats kept popping for the Crimson Tide. Freshman outfielder Owen Diodati took him deep, bringing in two more runs for Alabama. Diodati homered again later in the 8th inning to cap off the 10 run blowout.

Stiehl settled in after the initial bomb, pitching three more innings of scoreless relief. Still, it was not enough to awaken the Husky bats, and the Crimson Tide ran away with the game one victory, 10-0.

Alabama Freshman LHP Connor Prielipp picked up the win on four innings of scoreless, one hit ball in which he struck out seven. NU junior third baseman Ian Fair accumulated half of the Husky hits in the game, going 2-3 with a walk to extend his hitting streak to 15 games dating back to last season.

Alabama picked right up where they left off in game two, scoring five runs in the first two innings off of Husky junior RHP Sam Jacobsak, who went five innings, allowed seven hits and five runs (three earned) while striking out five. The Husky defense was not anything to be proud of, committing three errors in the game, two of which came in Alabama’s two-run second inning.

The Huskies were limited to four singles on the day, as Crimson Tide sophomore RHP Connor Shamblin picked up the win on a five inning, five strikeout performance.

The Huskies looked to come alive in Sunday’s game three, behind the mighty arm of freshman RHP Sebastian Keane, who was making his collegiate debut for NU after refusing to sign with the Boston Red Sox when they drafted him in the 11th round.

The game started off strong for the Huskies, as a leadoff walk and a subsequent single brought up Fair, who hit a ground ball to the pitcher. A throwing error advanced all runners two bags, bringing in the first run of the series for the Huskies. Redshirt sophomore outfielder/first baseman Corey DiLoreto brought in another run with a groundout to the shortstop before a third run was driven home on a single to right-center field by sophomore outfielder Jared Dupere. The game looked to be in strong favor of the Huskies after only one half inning.

However, things did not go according to plan for Keane. Three innings and 75 pitches later, Glavine sent him to the bench, after a nine hit, five run performance in which he walked one and struckout only two. The Crimson Tide added one more run later on in the fifth, and ran away with the sweep 6-3 in the final game.

The Huskies will head down to Fort Myers, Florida, to take on the Boston Red Sox in an exhibition game at Spring Training on Friday afternoon. After that, they remain in the Sunshine State for a three-game set against South Florida (2-1), starting Feb. 22.