Northeastern to suspend athletic activities on Election Day

Sophomore+guard+Mossi+Staples+surveys+the+court+as+she+nears+the+3-point+line+in+a+game+against+Drexel+last+season.+

Courtesy Jim Pierce, Northeastern Athletics

Sophomore guard Mossi Staples surveys the court as she nears the 3-point line in a game against Drexel last season.

Leah Cussen, deputy sports editor

Northeastern Athletics plans to suspend all athletic activities on Election Day, Nov. 3, 2020, according to a statement released Thursday. 

The decision, made in collaboration with the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee and the Northeastern University Black Athletic Caucus, reflects an effort by Northeastern Athletics to support social justice action.

“As per the initiative, all previously scheduled games, practices, workouts and team-related events will no longer take place on Nov. 3. Northeastern is dedicated to giving its over 400 student-athletes the opportunity to exercise their right to vote,” the statement read. 

The announcement came more than a month after the NCAA released a statement on June 12, encouraging its member schools to designate Election Day a day off for student-athletes. 

“We encourage students to continue to make their voices heard on these important issues, engage in community activism and exercise their Constitutional rights,” wrote NCAA President Mark Emmert and the NCAA Board of Governors. “We encourage all member schools to assist students in registering to vote in the upcoming national election and to designate November 3, 2020 as a day off from athletics activity so athletes can vote and participate in their ultimate responsibility as citizens.”

Northeastern recently announced that its fall varsity sports seasons have been postponed due to COVID-19, but those teams can still hold practices throughout the fall.