Women’s basketball nabs second straight road win with the unstoppable offense of Oriyomi and Clark

NU+sweeps+Manhattan+College+62-50+in+non-conference+match+up+Tuesday+afternoon.+

Jim Pierce

NU sweeps Manhattan College 62-50 in non-conference match up Tuesday afternoon.

Niyati Parikh, news staff

After 10 days off from CAA play due to COVID-19 scheduling changes, all eyes were back on sophomore forward Mide Oriyomi Tuesday afternoon. And boy did she step up to the challenge against non-conference opponent, Manhattan College.

Not only did she score the first layup of the game but she snatched a career-high 17 rebounds, stole the rock twice and went 8-for-8 at the line, helping to lead the Huskies for their second road win of the season. 

“Mide has been a great steady for us in the last handful of games and I think that’s a position that she’s comfortable being in. If Mide can continue being that steady player, it gives her teammates the opportunity to help and contribute around her,” head coach Kelly Cole said. 

Cole decided to change up the starting five, putting in freshmen forward Leyla Özturk and guard Maddie Vizza into the mix over the usual starters of junior guard Kendall Currence and sophomore guard Mossi Staples. 

The Huskies started out strong in the first quarter with an 11-0 run, which put them up 13-5 with a little more than three minutes left to play. However, Manhattan (5-6, 5-3 MAAC) made the buckets they needed to erase the early run, ending the frame tied at 13. 

In the second quarter, a great left-handed layup by senior guard Stella Clark was the onset of her incredible 17-point game. For the third time this season, Clark played the full contest and grabbed eight rebounds and added six assists to her name as well.  

Manhattan and NU seemed to be playing a mirrored game and were evenly matched yet again as they went into the second half of the contest tied at 26. 

Four great plays truly showcased the second half. 

Vizza, off an assist by Clark, seemed to play hot potato with the ball as it somehow found the bottom of the net to open the frame. Graduate student Ayanna Dublin went down and under two Manhattan players, scoring off the glass, putting the Huskies up, 30-29. Fellow freshman forward Leyla Özturk had a crucial block that led to a shot clock violation by Manhattan. Clark, who has been known to be speedy, somehow found her own rebound off a three-pointer and put it down for the layup. The Huskies went into the final frame with the lead, 38-36. 

“There were a lot of defensive stops and a lot of offensive streaks,” Cole said. “It was a great game on the road and to get on our belt. It was competitive and both teams did what they needed to do.” 

Dublin definitely did what she needed to do. She was red hot during the final frame, scoring six straight points for the Huskies, giving them a 46-40 lead with a little under seven minutes left in regulation. NU ran away with the game as they padded their increasing lead, ending the game up 62-50. 

“It was great to see everyone out there doing their thing. Mide never stopped, Stella had a couple of key baskets and steals. They did their job”, Cole said.  

The top scorers for the Huskies were Clark, Oriyomi and Dublin leading to their second straight win. The team recorded a season-high rebounding effort with 46 boards over Manhattan’s 28. 

Oriyomi has now gone five straight games with double-digit scoring, averaging about 19 points per game prior to this contest, and recorded her second double-double of the year. 

NU (2-5, 1-3 CAA) has the next few days off as they prepare to head down this weekend to Virginia to play James Madison University (6-4, 2-1 CAA) Saturday and Sunday at 1 p.m.