Men’s and women’s track & field competes at Rhode Island

Northeastern+track+and+field+athletes+compete+in+dual+meet+at+URI%2C+clinching+wins+and+setting+personal+records.+

Northeastern track and field athletes compete in dual meet at URI, clinching wins and setting personal records.

Sam Culver, news staff

The Northeastern men’s and women’s track & field teams raced in a tri meet at the University of Rhode Island against URI and the Providence College Friars. The Husky men were led by senior sprinter Dametrius O’Connor while the Husky women were led by freshman thrower Trinity Cardillo.

O’Connor could not be caught in the sprint events, winning both the 60-meter and 200-meter dashes. He ran 6.94 seconds in the 60 and 22.04 seconds in the 200, achieving a personal best in both events. His 60-meter time moves him up to sole possession of the ninth fastest time in NU history.

Cardillo dominated the throwing events, winning the weight throw with a personal best 15.95-meter toss and finishing second in the shot put with a 12.65-meter heave. 

On the women’s side, the Huskies found success in all disciplines. Senior jumper Shraeya Srinivasan won the triple jump — hopping, skipping and jumping 11.11 meters —and junior jumper Jillian Lombardi took second in the long jump with a 5.29-meter leap. Sophomore sprinters Khamil Evans and Sydney Robinson finished second and third in the 400-meter dash, running 59.58 seconds and 1:00.18, respectively. In the 3000-meter run, freshman distance runner Tessa McClain ran the eighth fastest time in NU history, finishing fifth in 9:47.38. 

McClain now holds top ten all-time NU marks in the indoor mile and 3k after only two finishes in the Husky uniform. The freshman from Harvard, Massachusetts could be a star in the making for the NU distance team.

On the men’s side, multiple Huskies finished in the runner-up position. Sophomore sprinter Noah Sweeney followed O’Connor in the 60-meter dash, finishing second in 6.98 seconds. Junior sprinter Phillips Magre placed second in the 500-meter dash in 1:05.51 and second in the 200-meter dash in 22.65 seconds. Sophomore mid-distance runner Pierre Sylvian took second in the 800-meter dash in 1:57.64. The Husky sprinters reigned supreme over the competition.

“We are starting to round out our season and managed to get some great performances while we were at URI,” head coach Tramaine Shaw said after the meet, specifically noting McClain’s and O’Connor’s times. 

The Huskies will continue their season at the UConn field event meet Feb. 27.