Northeastern announces Care Days, on-campus changes

Ethan Wayne

Students enjoy the nice weather as they relax on Krentzman Quad, March 11.

One year after the university announced all classes would go online, Northeastern announced the addition of two Care Days and changes on campus to allow more freedoms for students Thursday afternoon in an email.

Wednesday, March 24 and Monday, April 12 were designated as Care Days, on which all classes will be cancelled. The April 12 Care Day will replace the April 19 holiday students normally have off for Patriots’ Day.

“Your hard work has been evident, and I’m delighted to share with you the following changes that we hope will provide all students—on all of our North American campuses—a well-deserved opportunity to recharge and rejuvenate,” Ken Henderson, the chancellor and senior vice president for learning, wrote in the email. “Many of these opportunities are made possible because of the excellent work you and your classmates have done to keep our campuses healthy and safe.”

The email also announced Wellness Week, a week full of programming designed to focus on students’ mental health, which starts March 21 and ends March 27 and was created in collaboration with the Resident Student Association, Student Affairs and other student organizations. The announcements and resources come as students express extreme burnout this semester as a result of fully remote classes and no spring break.

Another recent issue has been a lack of spaces for students to safely study and spend time with others. Starting March 15, students in university housing will be allowed to host guests from other residence halls. Hours for commonly used areas, such as the Curry Student Center Ballroom and Snell Library, were also extended in the email. On March 29, the Curry Student Center game room will be available for reservation and the Current Student Center Roof Terrace will also be available for access.

The university also announced the beginning of registration for eight intramural sports, including cornhole, spike ball and badminton. The 50 club sports offered at Northeastern — such as archery, running and tennis — will be in person as well, with COVID-19 health protocols in place. This is in addition to in-person exercise classes being offered at the Marino Recreation Center and the Squashbusters Center. Marino’s capacity will rise to 50% next week in line with Phase III, Step 2 of Massachusetts’ Reopening Guidelines.