Huskies beat River Hawks in tightly-contested series

Northeastern+Huskies+face+UMass+Lowell+over+the+weekend%2C+taking+home+two+of+three.+

Peyton Doyle

Northeastern Huskies face UMass Lowell over the weekend, taking home two of three.

Jack Sinclair, news staff

Northeastern baseball’s CAA preparations continued this weekend as they took on the UMass Lowell River Hawks (1-8) in a three-game series in Boston. Northeastern (6-5) has been sharpening their teeth on a number of local opponents as of late, playing out of conference opponents like UMass Amherst and the University of Albany. Lowell was a juicy target for the Huskies as they continue to roll toward conference play. 

Stiehl not hard enough, Huskies drop game one of doubleheader 

Northeastern opened the series with a doubleheader on Friday. Redshirt senior Kyle Murphy got things started for the Huskies in the morning game. He was sharp, pitching for complete innings. The second inning was the only bump on what was an otherwise smooth road. The River Hawks bats woke up for a quick two-run, three-hit inning, giving them a 2-1 lead. Lowell plated another run in the top of the fourth.  

Murphy was not alone in his efforts. The Northeastern offense did their best to give Murphy adequate run support. After redshirt sophomore Ben Malgeri scored on a wild pitch in the bottom of the first, the Huskies would wait until the middle innings to really get going.  

A grounder advanced Malgeri to second and with a hit batter later, he was at third with two outs. Lowell then walked redshirt sophomore Spenser Smith to score fellow redshirt sophomore Corey Diloreto. Redshirt junior Jeff Costello would score on the next play after a wild pitch, knotting the game up at three runs apiece. The next frame saw redshirt senior Scott Holzwasser drive in two more runs with a double to right-center. Redshirt sophomore Danny Crossen carried his hot streak from last weekend over by driving in Holzwasser and redshirt freshman Ryan Cervone. After five, the Huskies led the River Hawks 7-3.  

Redshirt senior reliever David Stiehl replaced Murphy after the stretch. The River Hawks offense wasted no time in figuring out the righty, reaching on an error and a single. Stiehl walked the next two batters, giving Lowell a free run. Redshirt senior Cam Climo sent one out of the park, clearing the bases and giving the River Hawks an 8-7 lead.

Redshirt sophomore Owen Langan took the ball from Stiehl after Climo’s dagger. He got the single out he needed to end the inning and returned to the mound for another round. Langan kept his team’s deficit at one run until he allowed another two runs in the top of the ninth. The Huskies’ last six outs were uninspiring, stranding two on the basepaths in the eight and going 1-2-3 in the ninth as they fell to the River Hawks 10-7. 

“It was a really, really tough loss,” said Northeastern head coach Mike Glavine. “We had an opportunity to extend the lead multiple times, and we didn’t do enough defensively or on the mound.”  

Keane’s Gem Lifts Huskies to Afternoon Victory 

The Huskies got a chance to rectify the defeat that afternoon. Redshirt freshman Sebastian Keane was the starter for NU, and right away it was clear he was sharp. After an inauspicious start to his 2021 campaign, Keane made the necessary adjustments to his command and absolutely terrorized the River Hawks bats.  

Keane cruised through the Lowell lineup, striking out nine and allowing only two hits during his first career complete game. 

“I thought [he] was phenomenal,” Glavine said. “It’s the best start I’ve seen him have at Northeastern. He carried us today.” 

Northeastern’s bats did just enough to clinch the victory off the back of Keane’s performance. Cervone drew a walk with the bases loaded in the third, and Costello hit a sac fly to give the Huskies the lead they needed. The 2-0 win is Keane’s first decision of the season. 

“It was a grinder of a day,” Glavine said after the doubleheader. “But I guess that’s how our season is going to be.” 

Schlitter Wins Battle of the Cams 

Northeastern’s redshirt freshmen continued to shine from the mound on Saturday. Cam Schlitter faced off against Lowell’s Cam Seguin, and neither team could gain any sort of offensive foothold as both pitchers were dealing their best stuff. 

The Huskies were the first to bring a runner across the plate. Crossen singled in the bottom of the sixth, plating Cervone and breaking the 0-0 tie. UMass Lowell was quick to respond, as Friday morning’s grand slam hero Climo went yard once again, knotting the game back up at one run each. 

“Schlitter really set the tone for us,” said Glavine. “[He] pitched a great ball game.” 

Schlitter pitched a full seven innings, while Seguin made his return to the mound for the eighth. He would last only a third of the frame before being pulled after allowing a baserunner. 

Neither team would break through, until Northeastern stepped up for the final half-inning. The leadoff batter, Crossen, got on base with a single to right field. Redshirt senior Kyle Peterson wore a pitch, then advanced to second after a Holzwasser sacrifice bunt. With one out and runners on second and third, freshman catcher JP Olson stepped up to the plate. Olson smacked a fly ball into right field with just enough power behind it to allow Crossen to tag up and score the winning run. 

“We’re struggling a little bit right now,” Glavine said. “But it was a grinding win. We got some big plays, some clutch hitting … Sometimes that’s just what it takes.” 

Northeastern’s 2-1 weekend improves their record to 6-5 in non-conference play. For the Huskies, a midweek matchup against the Bryant Bulldogs Tuesday is next. Their next weekend series will be the make-up for the previously postponed away series at Villanova. Northeastern begins CAA play at Hofstra April 9. Of course, this is subject to change as the CAA continues to adjust the schedule to best navigate through COVID-19.