Northeastern returns to vaccinating on-campus students

Vaccines+will+be+administered+in+the+Cabot+Testing+Center+10+a.m.+to+6+p.m.+Tuesday%2C+May+4+and+Wednesday%2C+May+5.++

Mike Puzzanghera

Vaccines will be administered in the Cabot Testing Center 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Tuesday, May 4 and Wednesday, May 5.

Gwen Egan, breaking news editor

Northeastern will offer first-dose vaccinations again for students on the Boston campus, according to an April 30 email from Chancellor and Senior Vice President for Learning Ken Henderson. 

Students can now book appointments for Tuesday, May 4 and Wednesday, May 5 to receive the single-dose Johnson & Johnson Janssen vaccine at the Cabot Testing Center. 

The university previously halted the administration of the first dose of COVID-19 vaccines at Cabot Testing Center due to the state of Massachusetts shifting its priority in vaccine distribution to mass vaccination sites, medical facilities and pharmacies. 

The email acknowledged the recent pause in distribution of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine in mid-April due to extremely rare complications related to blood clots. However, the pause was lifted April 23 and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention now recommends the use of the vaccine. 

“Whether you opt to get the vaccine on campus or for another vaccine option, we encourage all students to get the COVID-19 vaccine as soon as it becomes available to them,” the email read.

Students can use COVID-19 Vaccination Scheduler to make an appointment and will be asked to fill out a pre-screening form as well as a scheduling form. Right before their vaccine appointment students will also fill out a consent form, according to the email.

As of April 30, 2,530,850 people are fully vaccinated in the state, according to a report released by the Massachusetts Department of Public Health.