Northeastern announces building closures ahead of snowstorm

Quillan Anderson

Northeastern said in an NU Alert email to students Friday that certain buildings, like Cabot Testing Center and Marino Recreation Center, will close due to the snowstorm expected to hit New England. 

Jessica Silverman, deputy campus editor

This story was updated Jan.29 to reflect the change in operating hours for buildings on campus Sunday.

The National Weather Service is forecasting a storm with heavy snow accumulation reaching 18-24 inches, and winds with gusts up to 70 miles per hour. The university said classes scheduled on Saturday should meet remotely.

According to the email, Cabot Testing Center will reopen Sunday with the extended hours of 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Staff at the testing center will honor any COVID-19 test appointments originally scheduled for Saturday, the email said.

Marino Recreation Center, SquashBusters and Snell Library will also be closed on Saturday. The Marino Recreation Center and SquashBusters will open at noon on Sunday. Snell Library will open at 11 a.m. Additionally, the tents on campus and the Bubble on Carter Field will close late Friday night and will remain closed through Saturday.

Dining halls and the Curry Student Center (excluding the food court) will remain open Saturday. Curry Student Center will be open from 10 a.m. to midnight on Sunday and dining halls will remain open.

The university will continue to update the community with information online