Op-ed: How hard is it to find a therapist in Boston?

Neither Northeastern, nor the city of Boston, is equipped to handle the volume of individuals seeking help with mental illness.

"Call your therapist" by SHOTbySUSAN is licensed under CC BY-ND 2.0

Rachel Umansky-Castro, contributor

COVID-19 has a devastating effect on this already large quantity of individuals needing therapy. The issue arose as there was an addition of people who wanted to seek therapy for the first time due to the impact COVID-19 had on their lives. 

Now, as some therapists reopen their doors for in-person sessions, that number of incoming patients will likely grow. Although these doors may be opening, the struggle to get an appointment remains — as schedules are booked for the foreseeable future. 

The struggle that young adults are facing with mental health in 2022 is not a new one by any means. A survey conducted by Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or CDC in 2020, reported that young adults 18-24 years old are more likely than other age groups to report anxiety, depression, substance use and thoughts of suicide.

In June 2020, the CDC reported a survey for U.S. adults, which revealed the percentage of participants having seriously considered suicide in the 30 days before completing the survey (10.7%) was significantly higher (25.5%) among 18-24 year olds. 

Within younger generations, more individuals are welcoming therapy with open arms. However, despite this rapidly increasing demand for therapy and mental health resources, neither Northeastern, nor the city of Boston, is equipped to handle the volume of individuals seeking help. 

As for Northeastern University, the staff of University Health and Counseling Services, or UHCS, tries to emphasize the importance of mental health on campus by prompting wellness days throughout the semester. Countless flyers, emails and support groups are created in order to express their support. However, despite the advertising push the school has to offer, there needs to be more support for Northeastern students. 

As Phil Zminda reveals in an article from The News, “the reputation of Northeastern’s health center precedes itself to the point that many students bypass it entirely, taking their search for mental health care into their own hands.” 

Even though Northeastern may state its support for students’ mental health, many students feel there is a lack of attention for each of their cases. An example of this is the recent tragedy with a Northeastern student that turned to suicide in Snell Library. If Northeastern had more resources made available to students, perhaps tragedies like this could be prevented in the future. No student should ever feel like this again, and Northeastern needs to focus on supporting every student’s mental health. Through personal experience and conversations with other Northeastern students trying to find a therapist through UHCS, a recurring issue has been collectively recognized: there are not enough therapists at Northeastern. 

In a Boston Globe article, reporter Meredith Goldstein revealed the difficulty of finding a therapist since COVID-19. Goldstein interviewed Boston psychologist Natasha Holmes who expressed her concerns in referring patients to her friends or colleagues because all the therapists she would normally recommend are unavailable. As indicated in a New York Times article, those seeking therapy worry they might not get the help they need right away. 

“With anxiety and depression on the rise during the pandemic, it has been challenging for people to get the help they need,” Christina Caron, a reporter for The New York Times, wrote. 

Despite the challenges, it is necessary for anyone looking for a therapist to reach out to as many organizations as you can until you find the right therapist for your needs. It may take longer than preferred but therapists do care about your current mental health. However, clients feel as though the process of finding a therapist adds stress and worsens their mental health. 

“For a person already experiencing anxiety or depression, finding a therapist who is both affordable and accepting new patients can be exhausting,” Goldstein wrote.

Therapists are experiencing less cancellations and are providing more patient referrals due to the increase of patients, according to a report by The American Psychological Association. “Compared with before the pandemic, 29% of psychologists were seeing more patients overall, 43% were seeing the same number of patients, and 28% were seeing fewer patients,” read the study. 

Boston therapists seem like a better option for Northeastern students that need more help for their mental health than the university can provide. This rise in students searching for therapists outside the university creates a larger impact as there is a higher demand for therapist availability in the city. 

Clients must also deal with the challenge of finding comfort with an in-person therapist.

“While the therapist may have great skills, their work with you will only be effective if you feel connected to them,” said Amy Morin, a licensed clinical social worker, psychotherapist and editor in chief of Verywell Mind. “So the same therapist that made a great impact on your friend may not work out well for you if you don’t feel that personal connection.” 

It is imperative to keep trying to seek the best strategy in finding a sufficient therapist. Otherwise, serious mental health issues may lead to suicide. 

As Goldstein reported, one should choose to do in-person therapy, online, or group therapy sessions because therapists may open up soon enough. “Even wait lists can be hard to come by now. Get on all lists you can.” 

Though the difficulty of finding a therapist at Northeastern’s UHCS or in Boston is rising, help is still out there. Reach out to friends, campus groups, organizations and use UHCS as a resource for therapist referrals to discover better mental health services. Lots of research is key, especially for Northeastern students that feel their options are limited. There are plenty of resources around, you just have to take the first step to find guidance. 

Rachel Umansky-Castro is a first year combined major in criminal justice and journalism. She can be reached at [email protected]