No. 1 Northeastern sweeps No. 3 UConn in senior day victory


Kayla Shiao

Northeastern captain, Brooke Hobson, faces UConn’s Natalie Snodgrass on the ice.

Julia Yohe, news staff

Northeastern University women’s ice hockey (27-4-2, 21-3-2 HE) had its last regular season game Saturday, finishing the season with a 5-0 win against the University of Connecticut (22-8-4, 16-7-4 HE)

On Friday, the two teams faced off in Storrs, Connecticut, ending with a 4-4 tie and a 2-0 shootout victory for Northeastern. Both teams had strong offenses, putting pressure on both Northeastern graduate student goaltender Aerin Frankel and UConn senior goaltender Samantha Carpentier-Yelle. Back on their home turf Saturday, the Northeastern Huskies were ready for another shot at a triumph over UConn.

The game was a perfect send-off for four out Northeastern’s eight seniors — defenseman Gillian Foote, forward Miceala Sindoris, defenseman Brooke Tucker and forward Emma Jurusik — and eight graduate students — defenseman Lauren MacInnis, forward Katie Cipra, forward Maddie Mills, defenseman Skylar Fontaine, forward Tessa Ward, forward Andrea Renner, defenseman Brooke Hobson and Frankel. Next year, the team will be without the winningest class in program history.

UConn began the first period with a faceoff win, but Northeastern quickly took control of the. In the first two and a half minutes of the game, Northeastern made five shots on goal. 

Cipra scored the team’s first goal less than five minutes into the game. The goal was accompanied by two more goals in the first period — one by Ward and one by junior forward Katy Knoll. 

UConn quickly replaced Carpentier-Yelle with freshman goaltender Megan Warrener, who protected the net for the rest of the game. 

The second period brought back-to-back penalties for Northeastern. Junior defenseman Megan Carter received a two-minute minor for interference, while Ward obtained a two-minute minor for body checking. Despite the four minutes of uneven play and four shots-on-goal, UConn was unable to score on Frankel. 

UConn received their first penalty of the game 15 minutes into the second period, forcing senior forward Danielle Fox off the ice with a two-minute minor for cross checking. Northeastern senior forward Mia Brown used the advantage to score the Huskies’ fourth goal of the game, ending the Northeastern power play. The period ended with another UConn penalty against junior defenseman Ainsley Svetek that continued into the beginning of the third period.

The final 20 minutes of the game brought one penalty for each school and another goal for Northeastern. UConn graduate forward Natalie Snodgrass received a two-minute minor for tripping, and Northeastern’s Ward was put in the penalty box for interference. Both teams had a successful penalty kill.

Northeastern’s fifth and final goal was scored by Sindoris with six minutes left in the period. 

This game commemorated the 27th win this season for Northeastern women’s ice hockey along with Frankel’s 11th shutout. While UConn had strong offensive attacks at the start of each period, Northeastern quickly overpowered them each time. UConn’s defense was not nearly as strong as their offense. Northeastern, on the other hand, was on the prowl, ready to spring into action to help their goalie whenever UConn approached the net.

The Northeastern women’s ice hockey team will play in the Hockey East quarterfinals Feb. 26 at 7:30 p.m. in Matthews Arena.