Northeastern baseball approaches mid-season with even record

Harriet Rovniak

The Northeastern University baseball team approaches mid-season with an even record.

Lauren Thomas, news staff

After alternating between wins and losses through the first part of its season, the Northeastern University baseball team hit a hot streak, racking up six consecutive wins, before pumping the breaks and entering a four-game losing streak.

The Huskies began its longest winning streak of the season, six consecutive games, March 13 against Clemson University (16-7). Northeastern dealt Clemson its first loss of the season, scoring five runs to the Tiger’s three. Starting sophomore pitcher Wyatt Scotti dealt 11 strikeouts and held the Tigers to five hits. 

At the first home game of the season March 15, the Huskies beat Bryant University (8-12) with a final score of 1-0. Northeastern’s defense was hot, with two double plays, and three strikeouts by sophomore pitcher Eric Yost, five by senior pitcher Jordy Allard and one by redshirt sophomore pitcher Thomas Balboni. 

Redshirt junior infielder Spenser Smith racked up his second triple of the season, but was unable to score. NU’s lone run was scored by sophomore infielder Max Viera on an RBI hit by redshirt junior infielder Corey Diloreto. 

The players got their bats going again against Merrimack College (6-11-1) March 16. Freshman center fielder Mike Sirota started off strong in the bottom of the first, knocking out his third homer of the season. On the defensive side, Sirota made two diving catches in shallow center to hold the Warriors to one run. The game was the Huskies’ highest scoring yet, with RBI’s from five different batters putting the final score at 7-1. 

A two-game series against College of the Holy Cross (6-20) began unremarkably March 18 with a tight score of 3-1. Yet, Northeastern underlined their winning streak later the same day, defeating Merrimack 10-1, and beating its own season record of runs scored in one game. Redshirt senior outfielder Jeff Costello led the day hitting two triples and scoring three runs. 

Another win against Brown University (4-11) March 20 proved uneventful until the Huskies’ bats got going in the sixth inning. Costello once again led Northeastern’s powerful offense with two runs, three RBI’s and his second home run of the season. Scotti made an impressive show, pitching 8.0 innings and holding Brown to two runs, while his team put eight on the board. 

After the six-game winning streak, the Huskies fell short in four consecutive games. Boston College (9-14) upset NU March 22 in an aggressive show of defense from both sides. Yost proved his fielding skills, picking up a sacrifice bunt ahead of the mound and tossing to redshirt sophomore catcher JP Olsen at the plate to tag out the runner. Despite the tight defense, NU failed to get on the board and the low-scoring game ended 0-1. 

Making the trek down south, Northeastern played a three-game series against College of Charleston (15-9) March 25-27. The Cougars’ bats trumped the Huskies’ at every turn, forcing NU to give up 28 total runs in the series. The weekend games ended 3-7, 9-14 and 1-7 respectively. Caught in a slump, NU racked up 10 errors throughout the weekend. 

NU returned to Friedman Diamond this weekend, April 1-3, for another home-stand against the College of William and Mary (13-11). The Huskies’ losing streak continued in the first two games of the series, falling to the Griffins 6-2 and 4-3. Northeastern finally notched its first conference win of the season this Sunday, beating William and Mary 3-2. 

As the team reaches the halfway point in its season, the Northeastern University baseball team is clinging to their narrowly-winning record of 14-13-1.