A glimpse into the 2022 fall sports season

Vince van Oorschot

Jacob Marin-Thomson protects the ball from Hofstra.

Annah Chaya, managing editor

With the first day of classes around the corner and students back on campus, fall sports are back and ready for the season at Northeastern University.

The NU men’s soccer team finished its 2021 fall season with an overall record of 11-6-2.

The Huskies prepared for their upcoming season throughout August, as the team works to integrate 13 new athletes and almost an entirely new coaching staff. The 2022-2023 coaching staff includes a new head coach, Rich Weinrebe, a new assistant coach, Augusto Lima and a returning assistant coach, Stefan Defregger.

Weinrebe joins NU after spending the last eight seasons as the associate head coach and recruiting coordinator at University of New Hampshire. Lima is entering his first season as an assistant coach at Northeastern after previously working at the University of Rochester and Bucknell University.  

The NU soccer  season began on Aug. 25 against the University of Massachusetts with a tie between the two teams. The Huskies then went on to play Boston College on Aug. 29 with the final score of 3-2 with BC winning. The team will play against Elon University on  Sept. 3 at Elon.

The women’s soccer team ended with a 9-9-1 overall record in the 2021 season, with the team consisting predominantly of seniors and graduate students.

The team is entering the 2022 season with seven incoming freshmen and two transfer students — junior midfielder Jessie Hunt from University of Wisconsin and graduate student Holland Stam from Duke University — to make up for those who graduated. 

While at Wisconsin, Hunt was named to the Big Ten All-Academic Team in the 2021 season.
Stam, named the nation’s 11th-best goalkeeper out of high school, was on multiple NCAA tournament teams while she was an undergraduate at Duke.

The team has played two exhibition games against University of Maine and Providence College on Aug. 11 and Aug. 13, respectively. Throughout late August and early September, the Huskies played in games against Boston University, BC, University of Rhode Island, Harvard University and New Hampshire. The team won 1-0 against BU, lost 1-4 against BC, lost 2-3 against Harvard and tied 0-0 against URI.

The 2021 field hockey team finished out the season with an overall record of 7-12 and an unfortunate overtime loss to James Madison University in the CAA Field Hockey Championship in early November 2021.

The 2022 team has eight new incoming freshmen joining along with one new sophomore, Lily Smith, and an incoming graduate goaltender, Jonna Kennedy. Kennedy previously played for BC where in her senior season she played 16 games with a 10-6 record. The team also has a new assistant coach, Kellie Stigas, who formerly played for NU and graduated in 2019.

The team played two exhibition games in mid August against Providence College and Yale University. On Aug. 26, the Huskies lost 0-4 against Ohio State in the first game of the season and lost 2-5 against University of Albany on Aug. 27. The team plays Dartmouth College next Sept. 9 at Dartmouth.

The 2022-2023 women’s swimming and diving team has eight freshmen joining the team and one graduate student, Kira Parker, who spent her undergraduate years at University of Vermont.

For the 2022 season, the team has a new strength and conditioning coach, Blair Lloyd, who is also the strength and conditioning coach for the women’s soccer team and women’s track and field team. Head coach Roy Coates has also added Katie Rivers as an assistant coach. Rivers, a 2021 graduate, was a member of the swim and dive team at UVM.

The Huskies women’s swimming and diving team have its first meet  Sept. 10 at Swim Across America in Narragansett, Rhode Island.

The 2021 women’s volleyball team finished its season with an overall record of 12-15 and a team nearly split equally between under and upperclassmen.

The 2022 women’s volleyball team includes a similar set up to the 2021 team. The team has three new incoming freshmen and two graduate students joining for this season. Graduate student outside hitter Laura Seeger previously played at Fairfield University where she tallied 707 kills and 102 blocks. Graduate student middle blocker Nikiya Mitchell formerly played for Towson University where she logged her career-best 117 blocks in the 2021 season. With a team consisting of mostly returning players, the volleyball team should be able to jump right back into the swing of things this season.

The Huskies played in the Northwestern Tournament at the end of August, where they lost every game, and the Duke Invitational the first weekend of September. The team’s first home game in Cabot Center is Sept. 9 against the University of Georgia.

NU’s women’s cross country team is ready for the fall season, bringing in two incoming freshmen, Shae Regan and Silas Rutherford.

The men’s cross country team also has two new athletes, incoming freshmen Patrick Cantlon and graduate student Mason Gatewood.

Both teams started the season at the Suffolk Short Course Classic, hosted by Suffolk University, Sept. 2.

A momentous change was announced by the Colonial Athletic Association, or CAA, at the beginning of August: the addition of another university to the league. Beginning July 1, 2023, Campbell University, located in Buies Creek, North Carolina, will join the other 13 teams of the CAA league.

Campbell has won four Big South Conference men’s all sports trophies in the last five years and has won 42 league regular season titles in the Big South Conference, which they were a part of before joining the CAA.

With Campbell joining the CAA in 2023, a university which has more than 600 student-athletes, some new competition in the league may be a welcome change.

With plenty of changes happening and new students joining the Huskies, the 2022 fall sports season will be an interesting one to watch.