Gemma and Evan

Gemma Guerrazzi and Evan Gillis share a different kind of love story — a best friendship.

The two met when they happened to be in the same group at Emerson College’s accepted students day. At the time, the final decision of where the two would end up for school was still unclear.

It was in the cards for the pair to cross paths again, because they both chose Emerson. 

“We didn’t know we were going to go to this school,” Gillis said. “It was so random,” Guerrazzi added.

When Guerrazzi posted on the admitted students’ Instagram page, Gillis commented, saying “I think you’re the girl I met at accepted students day.” Guerrazzi excitedly messaged him, but never got a response from Gillis, who claims he “didn’t see the message.”

They later ran into each other at orientation, and it was confirmed they were destined to be friends. 

Gillis remembered Guerrazzi had the name of a type of stone and remembers asking her “Isn’t your name like Ruby or Diamond or something?”

Since that day 10 years ago, the two have become best friends, studied abroad together twice as undergraduates and have continued their friendship post-graduation while working on opposite coasts. Guerrazzi works for Warner Bros. Discovery in California and Gillis has stayed in Boston working as a software technician for news companies.

“I love that Gemma is so good at being a best friend,” Gillis said. “She always brings the fun.”

While Guerrazzi said she’s often the source of energy and fun, she appreciates how Gillis is there to ground her when she needs it most.

“He’s always like ‘Gemma, you’re fine, it’s going to be okay,’” she said.

The two enjoy frequenting Tatte any chance they get but don’t have a distinct “spot” to hang out in Boston because of their love for adventure.

“We don’t have a place to hang out because we’re always traveling together,” Gillis said. “We like finding new places.”

Best friend duo Gemma Guerrazzi and Evan Gillis share a laugh in Boston Common. The two met as accepted students at Emerson College and now keep their friendship alive despite living on two different coasts.
(Annika Sunkara)

About the Contributors
Alexa Coultoff
Alexa Coultoff, Projects Editor
Alexa Coultoff is a second-year criminal justice and journalism combined major and projects editor of The News. This is her second semester as projects editor, where she hopes to continue bringing insights and investigations into our coverage. She is currently on co-op at the Metro desk of The Boston Globe. You can follow her on X @alexacoultoff
Annika Sunkara
Annika Sunkara, Social Media Editor
Annika Sunkara is a second-year journalism major and audiovisual editor of The News. She aspires to continue producing accessible and engaging multimedia content. You can follow her @annika_sunkara on X/Twitter.