Brianna and Billy

Brianna and Billy Gurney’s first date was a Red Sox game at Fenway Park — a perfect choice for a high school couple who had lived in the Boston area their whole lives. 

At just 16 and 18 years old, a mutual friend introduced Brianna and Billy. Despite attending different high schools, the young couple dated for about a year before college forced them to part ways. 

“She dumped me,” Billy said. “Then about 10 years later, she saw me at Tequila Rain and IM’d me on Instant Messenger the next morning, and we never looked back.”

Billy knew in high school that Brianna was meant for him, and he said he continued to pursue her after their split. “I feel like it took her longer [to know],” he said. “I needed to develop my charm more.”

“That second time we saw each other, it was different,” Brianna said. “We were older, and we kinda just knew instantly.”

Billy and Brianna later shot their engagement photos at Fenway Park, an ode to their first date. 

Fifteen years and two kids later, Billy said Brianna has “always made [him] very happy,” and he appreciates her dedication to their kids. “She’s the best mom in the world,” he said. 

“[Billy] has grown into a wonderful father,” Brianna said. “We have so much fun … he always makes me laugh.”

Billy and Brianna are still in touch with the friend who introduced them. She was in the couple’s wedding, and Brianna is her son’s godmother. “She still thinks it’s crazy that we ended up back together,” Brianna said. 

Husband and wife Brianna and Billy Gurney hold hands while taking a walk in Boston Common. After going out in high school, the pair separated for 10 years before they reconnected at a Boston nightclub.
(Annika Sunkara)

Annika Sunkara
Annika Sunkara, Social Media Editor
Annika Sunkara is a second-year journalism major and audiovisual editor of The News. She aspires to continue producing accessible and engaging multimedia content. You can follow her @annika_sunkara on X/Twitter.