Hannah and Josh

Wearing matching boots and wrestling with Summer, a 4-year-old golden retriever, Hannah Orujev and Josh Zak recounted their eight-year-long love story.

Zak and Orujev both grew up in western Massachusetts and met at an ice skating and laser tag party for a Jewish youth organization in high school. Orujev walked up to Zak and asked for a picture with him. “Back in high school, that was a big deal,” Zak said.  

For their first date, the couple watched “Creed” at a movie theater and made conversation over tea. Orujev’s parents dropped her off, so Zak had to “meet the parents” on the first date, he joked. 

“Our families knew each other,” Orujev said, explaining how she and Zak were a lot more connected than they had known. Orujev’s family immigrated to the United States from Azerbaijan, and Zak’s came from Latvia. Orujev’s grandparents helped Zak’s grandparents get settled in the United States. 

“We didn’t know until after we started dating,” Zak said. 

As a Northeastern alum, Zak has lived in Boston since his freshman year. “[Orujev] went to UMass … but we stayed together the whole time,” Zak said.

In Boston, the couple enjoys walking around the Boston Common and going to Yamato for unlimited sushi. “We’re big sushi people,” Orujev said. 

After living together for two years, the couple has developed a deeper appreciation for each other. 

Coming from a competitive family, Zak appreciates Orujev’s laid-back attitude. “She showed me that you can relax and enjoy things, too,” he said.

“[Zak] is so willing to help everyone,” Orujev said. “It’s nice to see.”

Hannah Orujev and Josh Zak hold onto the leash of Summer, their golden retriever, while walking in Boston Common. They enjoy spending time together by taking Summer on walks and eating unlimited sushi at Yamato.
(Annika Sunkara)
Annika Sunkara
Annika Sunkara, Social Media Editor
Annika Sunkara is a second-year journalism major and audiovisual editor of The News. She aspires to continue producing accessible and engaging multimedia content. You can follow her @annika_sunkara on X/Twitter.