Northeastern Crime Log

Crime Log entries are selected from Northeastern’s Division of Public Safety reports.

Tuesday, October 7

8:30 a.m.

An officer came upon three young men sleeping in a first floor room in the Curry Student Center. The young men were of high school age, one 16, one 17 and the other 18 years old. The three young men were awakened by the officer. Two of the young men that lived nearby were taken home and the other was escorted off campus.

Noon

A parking attendant in the Columbus Garage reported seeing a man in a parked car who appeared to be smoking marijuana. An officer responded and discovered that a 46-year-old male staff member from Northeastern was, in fact, smoking marijuana in the car. The staff member will be referred to the head of his department and to the Human Resources Management Department.

1 p.m.

A female student discovered that two tires on her car were flat after parking her car in the Columbus lot Sunday night. The tires appear to have been intentionally vandalized.

4 p.m.

An 18-year-old female student reported that on Oct. 4, she left her bag unattended in Snell Library around 7 p.m. for approximately two minutes and when she returned, her cell phone was missing.

Wednesday, October 8

11 a.m.

A female student from Stetson East reported a person selling magazines door to door in the residence hall. The NUPD located the person who was signed in by a resident. The magazine solicitor was escorted off campus. The resident that signed in the solicitor will be referred to the Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution (OSCCR).

Noon

A faculty member reported a slide projector missing from a classroom in West Campus C. It is unknown when the projector may have been taken. It was last reported used five days before and was said to have been left unattended fairly regularly.

12:30 p.m.

A 20-year-old female student reported her diamond ring missing after setting it on a sink in the bathroom of Ell Hall and leaving it unattended for a few minutes.

Thursday, October 9

9 a.m.

A 21-year-old female student reported her cell phone missing after leaving it unattended in Snell Library two days earlier.

1 p.m.

A 20-year-old male student reported being assaulted and robbed at 2 a.m. on Oct. 8. The assault occurred near his apartment on Huntington Avenue near Brigham Circle. The male student said that he was not allowed in a bar, had words with someone on the sidewalk, then that person punched him and robbed him. He had not reported the incident to the Boston Police Department or the NUPD until he went to replace his Husky Card and was told that a charge was made on his account. There was a discrepancy of time and date of the robbery because the “fraudulent” charge on his card was from Oct. 7 when the robbery was said to have happened on Oct. 8. The student was re-interviewed. It is believed that the Husky charge is in fact his.

1 p.m.

A 19-year-old female student reported the theft of her wallet which was left unattended on the InfoCommons desk in Snell Library. Her wallet contained $50 and some gift cards.

2 p.m.

A student found a wallet in the flower bed outside of Snell Library. The wallet was the female student’s and was returned minus the $50. The gift cards were not stolen.

Friday, October 10

2 p.m.

A female student in a Northeastern leased apartment reported her ATM card missing from her bedroom. She believes that this occurred within the past two days, in which a number of visitors had been in and out of the apartment.

6:30 p.m.

An RA in Willis Hall detected the odor of marijuana coming from a first floor apartment. The RA visited with the residents and called the police. In the room were four male students and two guests, all either 18 or 19 years old. There was a strong odor of marijuana in the room, but none was found. The four students will be referred to OSCCR.

Saturday, October 11

1:30 a.m.

An officer on patrol on Columbus Avenue observed a young man near 774 Columbus on the sidewalk with an open beer. The 20-year-old male student was asked to dump out the beer and will be referred to OSCCR. It is not the first time this student has been referred to OSCCR for violations of liquor laws.

Sunday, October 12

2 a.m.

A resident of Stetson East called to report a fight in North Lot. When the officer arrived, a 23-year-old male student was still there. He said that he had been assaulted by a friend of his roommate who was not a student. The two had allegedly gotten into an argument in the apartment. He and the visitor went outside to have a conversation about something said to be “controversial.” The visitor, who said that he was assaulted, was later located. Investigation will continue into the incident. There were no serious injuries.

9:30 a.m.

The manager of Wollaston’s at the Marino Center apprehended a man shoplifting food. University police caught up with the 36-year-old man on Forsyth Street after leaving Wollaston’s. While the officers were interviewing the man, he attempted to flee, but was again apprehended. He has been suspected of shoplifting in the past and will be summoned to court for shoplifting and trespassing.

Monday, October 13

1 p.m.

A 21-year-old male student called to report a man leaving his Hemenway Street apartment as he was entering it who was not believed to be affiliated with Northeastern. His roommate said that he was sleeping and awoke to find the man in the apartment. The man asked for someone who did not live in the apartment then left through the door that was left unlocked.

4 p.m.

A resident of 319 Huntington Ave. reported a magazine solicitor going door-to-door in the building. The solicitor was the same man as the one apprehended Wednesday, Oct. 8. He was given his final trespassing notice. Should he be caught on campus again, he will be arrested.

Tuesday, October 14

1 a.m.

ResLife staff in White Hall discovered fresh graffiti in the first floor corridor.

An 18-year-old female resident of White Hall reported receiving unwanted phone calls from a 19-year-old male student. The male student is known through a mutual friend. The calls were not threatening or obscene- just unwanted.

Crime Log Entry of the Week

Sunday, October 12

1:30 a.m. Two RAs were doing rounds in Davenport A when they came upon a noisy apartment on the fifth floor. Inside the apartment was a large number of mostly empty beer cans, a beer funnel and a large group of people. University Police interviewed 13 people: three 19-year-old students including one resident of the apartment, a 26-year-old male, six males who were 19 and 20 years old and three female guests, all 19 years old. The 19-year-old male resident admitted to buying the beer and owning the funnel. Ninety-six empty beer cans were found. All of the visitors were escorted out of the building and advised not to return to campus. The three students will be referred to OSCCR.