Northeastern Crime Log

Tuesday, October 14

11 a.m. Food services staff in the Hayden Hall Cafe discovered a large amount of candy stolen from the cupboards over the long weekend.

2:30 p.m. A staff member in Lake Hall reported her purse stolen after leaving her office unlocked and unattended for a couple of hours. Her purse was located later that day in Holmes Hall minus $20.

6:30 p.m. A visitor who parked in the Renaissance Garage discovered scratches on his car that appeared to have been made by a key.

Wednesday, October 15

9 a.m. A staff member in Speare Hall reported a chair stolen from the lobby of the residence hall sometime during the night.

10:30 a.m. A male student reported being assaulted on Saturday, Oct. 11 at a party in a Douglass Park apartment. He claimed to have gotten into an argument with some people not affiliated with Northeastern. The argument was said to have been over a female and resulted in a physical altercation. The student did not know the names of the other people involved but believes that they were from Maine. Because Douglass Park is a privately- owned apartment building, the incident will be referred to the Boston Police Department.

9:30 p.m. A person called to report that a 21-year-old female student was laying on the sidewalk on Columbus Avenue intoxicated and semi-conscious. Officers responded and discovered the student, who admitted to consuming vodka while watching the Red Sox playoff game. She was taken to the hospital for evaluation and will be referred to the Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution (OSCCR).

11:30 p.m. An RA in Speare Hall reported the odor of marijuana on the third floor of the building. Officers responded with the RA but did not find any marijuana. They discovered an 18-year-old female student intoxicated and ill in the room after consuming what she admitted was rum, that night. She was taken to the hospital and will be referred to OSCCR.

Thursday, October 16

9 p.m. An 18-year-old female student was allegedly Instant Messaging someone when her roommate, walking by, saw the content of her IM which she said included threatening content directed towards their third roommate. The roommate who saw the IM, also an 18-year-old female, told the third roommate, also 18, who the IM was about. All of the residents of the room were located and met with Residential Life staff. The roommate admitted that the comments were inappropriate but said they were not threatening. She was said to be very apologetic. The roommates will meet with ResLife for mediation.

Friday, October 17

7:30 a.m. A 21-year-old female student reported discovering her car window broken after parking in the North Lot on Thursday afternoon.

2 p.m. A male student who was parked in the Columbus Garage at 5 p.m. on Thursday reported his car window broken into and his radio taken from his console after leaving his car overnight because the garage closed before he could return.

5:30 p.m. A staff member in the Egan Research Center reported his laptop missing after leaving his lab unlocked and unattended for approximately half an hour.

7:30 p.m. The manager at Wollaston’s in West Campus detained a shoplifter who was taking packages of meat. Before an officer arrived, the man fled and escaped across Ruggles Street. He did not appear to be a student and was said to look middle-aged.

9 p.m. An 18-year-old female student and her 18-year-old female visitor approached an officer on Forsyth Street after just being assaulted on the Orange Line as the train approached the Ruggles T stop. Eight female, said to be around 14 and 15-years-old, were said to have accosted the two women after surrounding them on the train. The girls stole one woman’s wallet and $80. The officer and the two women contacted the MBTA police officer, but the group of juveniles had already left the station.

11:30 p.m. An 18-year-old female student reported that a large group of students and non-NU students were in her apartment the previous night as guests of her roommate to watch the Red Sox game. Friday evening she discovered her ATM card missing with $500 in purchases made with it. She believes that someone found it and took it. Later that night, after NUPD had interviewed people at the party, the student received two phone calls, one from a person who was interviewed previously and the other from a person who is believed to be the parent of someone that was interviewed by the NUPD. Both of these people that called admitted that a certain student used the ATM card and would pay the student back. They did not want the student to report the incident to the police. Investigation will continue into the identity of the two callers to verify whether or not they were the parent and student.

Saturday, October 18

2 a.m. Two 18-year-old male students were robbed after being approached on Forsyth Street near Chicken Lou’s. The two students came upon two other men that displayed knives and robbed them. The two men took a cell phone and $40 off of the students. A Northeastern officer stopped by to see if everything was alright and the group told him there was no problem and everything was fine. Soon after the group disbanded, the two students caught up with the officer to inform him that they were robbed. The two men were apprehended around the corner and arrested. One knife and the money were recovered. A 15-year-old male from Jamaica Plain was arrested along with 17-year-old Alysis Dryden, also of Jamaica Plain.

11:30 p.m. An RA, with the assistance of NUPD, went to a room in White Hall after suspecting alcohol use in the room. He discovered over 40 beer cans. In the room were two males and one female, all 18 years old who admitted to playing a drinking game. The remaining beer was disposed of. None of the students appeared to be intoxicated, but will be referred to OSCCR.

An officer was dispatched to the front steps of Burstein Hall where a 19-year-old male student was passed out on the front steps, intoxicated. The student was taken to the hospital and will be referred to OSCCR.

Sunday, October 19

1 a.m. The Boston Police Department called for NUPD’s assistance at 32 Symphony Rd. The BPD were breaking up a party upstairs when a tenant said that there was a large party in the basement of the building. There were over 200 people in the basement apartment at a party hosted by three 19-year-old male students. The three students will be referred to OSCCR.

1:30 a.m. A brief fight in the street in front of 218 Hemenway St. broke up just as officers arrived. The officers encountered a student that admitted to being at a party in 218 Hemenway St. and being involved in a fight outside earlier. Officers identified the residents in the apartment where the party was taking place. Two 20-year-old male students were hosting the party and they will be referred to OSCCR. Two kegs were confiscated.

3 a.m. A security officer in the Columbus Parking Lot reported seeing people loitering in the area for about 15 minutes. Officers looked through the lot and came across two cars without license plates. Both cars had out of state plates. Officers suspect that these two people may have taken the license plates.

1:30 p.m. An 18-year-old female resident of Stetson East reported discovering her ATM card and $100 missing from her wallet. Her roommate had signed in several strangers to help a friend in the building who had already signed in the maximum amount of people. The group of people ended up in her room while her roommate, who later was missing her ATM card and cash, was sleeping. The suspects names were not very legible on the sign in sheet. Officers found the other student, who was allegedly the friend of the guests who had intended to sign them in. She was not cooperative in giving the names of the guests but was said to have left with the group of guys later that night.

5:30 p.m. A female student at the YMCA reported her wallet and credit cards missing after her roommate had signed in several guests the previous night. According to the sign-in sheet, the roommate from Stetson East from the previous report was signed in at the YMCA and at least two of the guys suspected of theft in Stetson East the same night.

6 p.m. NUPD received a call reporting a suspicious person at the bike rack on World Series Way. Officers looked through the closed circuit television of the area and did see a man loitering around the area. He appeared to be taking something out of a backpack. Officers apprehended and arrested Jeffrey Austin, a 26-year-old man from Boston not affiliated with Northeastern, after he tried to flee the officers. Austin had a criminal record and admitted to being a professional bike thief. In his backpack was an already cut bike lock and bolt cutters.

11 p.m. An RA detected the odor of marijuana in a corridor in Smith Hall. Officers and the RA went to the room where they encountered four 18-year-old students and an 18-year-old female resident. The group admitted to smoking in the room. Officers confiscated a small amount of marijuana, rolling papers and a rolling paper machine. All five students will be referred to OSCCR.

Monday, October 20

8 a.m. A male staff member in Lake Hall discovered his computer monitor missing and his office door ajar. He had last been in his office Saturday afternoon and there were no signs of forced entry.

11:30 a.m. The manager of Wollaston’s at the Marino Center detained a 19-year-old male student who tried to shoplift a bottle of NyQuil. The student will be referred to OSCCR and is banned from both Wollaston’s establishments.

1 p.m. A 20-year-old male student reported that someone stole his Husky Card late Saturday night and used it at least twice. The student called the NUPD back later and said that a friend had admitted to taking the card and wanted the NUPD to drop the investigation. The student will not disclose the name of the student that had taken his card.

2 p.m. A 20-year-old female student from Davenport A reported that UPS had delivered a package to her from her parents that she had not received. UPS claims that someone signed for the package in the lobby of the building but the student said that she never got it.

During the past week, a freshman female student reported being sexually assaulted in a residence hall by another freshman, who was an acquaintance of hers. At this point, she is still weighing the option of whether to press criminal charges or to keep the issue within the university disciplinary system.

Crime Log Entry of the Week

Sunday, October 12 1:30 a.m. Two RAs were doing rounds in Davenport A when they came to a noisy apartment on the fifth floor. Inside the apartment was a large number of empty beer cans, a beer funnel and a large group of people. University Police interviewed 13 people: three 19-year-old students including one resident of the apartment, a 26-year-old male, six males who were 19 and 20 years old and three female guests, all 19 years old. The 19-year-old male resident admitted to buying the beer and owning the funnel. Ninety-six empty beer cans were found. All of the visitors were escorted out of the building and advised not to return to campus. The three students will be referred to OSCCR.