Northeastern Crime Log

Wednesday, March 24 Two 18-year-old male students and one 18-year-old female student reported they had been robbed in The Fenway by three or four males. Three cell phones, a digital camera and over $900 were stolen. The students claimed they had gone into the park to smoke “cigarettes” when they were held up. The Boston Police Department (BPD) was notified. The next day, one of the victims spotted one of the men that had allegedly held him up sitting in a parked car on The Fenway and recorded the license plate number. Officers are still investigating.

Thursday, March 25 10:30 a.m. A staff member in Hayden Hall reported a hanging wall photo stolen.

Friday, March 26 12:30 a.m. Officers responded to Smith Hall, where they found two 18-year-old male roommates in possession of a large quantity of alcohol. Also present in the room were a 19-year-old female visitor, a 19-year-old male student and the 17-year-old sister of one of the residents. The 17-year-old was taken to NUPD, where she was picked up by her parents. The rest of the students will be referred to the Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution (OSCCR). The visitor was allowed to remain on campus.

10 a.m. An NUPD detective responded to 650 Columbus Ave. to interview two residents in connection with an ongoing drug investigation. The two 19-year-old female roommates admitted to smoking marijuana and shooting cocaine in the NU leased apartment with a group of NU students who provided the drugs to them. No drugs were found in the apartment at the time. Both students will be referred to OSCCR, and criminal charges may be filed.

2 p.m. A 20-year-old female student reported her wallet stolen after leaving it unattended in the lobby of the financial aid office in Richards Hall for several minutes.

5 p.m. An officer on Columbus Avenue stopped a man who was pulling 12-packs of beer from the trunk of a car. The man, a 20-year-old student at a nearby college, told the officer that an NU student had supplied him with the beer. The 20-year-old male student came out to meet the officer, and claimed he had loaned his car to a friend, and when the car was returned, it had beer in the trunk. The student will be referred to OSCCR.

6:30 p.m. A 21-year-old male student reported his wallet stolen after leaving it on a table in the lobby of West Village A while he was paying for a delivered pizza. The wallet had no cash in it, but did contain several IDs and the student’s license.

Saturday, March 27 1:30 a.m. A 20-year-old male student and a 22-year-old male student reported being robbed by three or four men while walking on the service road behind Snell Library and the Egan Research Center. A wallet and a cell phone were stolen, and the men ran towards Columbus Avenue. Officers located several men fitting the description the students gave them and detained one man. The students, however, could not positively identify the man, and he was released. The next day, a workman found the wallet and cell phone belonging to the students in the vicinity where the man had been detained the previous evening. Both items are being tested for fingerprints in an attempt to connect the man detained to the robbery.

2:30 a.m. Officers responded to a noise complaint at 80 The Fenway. Officers found approximately 200 people in the third floor apartment, along with several kegs. The party dispersed, and officers found the 22-year-old student who had purchased the kegs for the party, but was not a resident of the apartment. The student, Joseph Parrish, was arrested on a previous default warrant for keeping a disorderly house and for furnishing alcohol to minors. He was arraigned at Roxbury District Court on Monday on the same charges.

Sunday, March 28 1:30 a.m. An officer patrolling Renaissance Parking Garage noticed a car parked with its parking lights on but without the engine running. Five people were sitting inside, and the officer could detect the smell of marijuana coming from the car. The officer questioned the occupants and found a large amount of marijuana in the car. The driver of the car admitted that all five of them had put in $150 each in order to buy the quantity of marijuana. The officer arrested William Sykes, a 20-year-old student, Yuliya Tsaur, a 19-year-old female student, Stephen Cronin, a 20-year-old non-student resident of Orange, Matthew Hansen, a 17-year-old non-student resident of Orange, and Ruslan Podlubny, a 20-year-old non-student resident of Brookline, for possession with intent to distribute. All five were arraigned at Roxbury District Court the next day on the same charge.

3 a.m. Officers responded to a noise complaint on the fourth floor of Speare Hall. While the officers were walking to the room, an 18-year-old female student walked by the officers holding a beer can. She will be referred to OSCCR. The officers proceeded to the room, where they found 20 beers and seven people, including the 18-year-old female resident and her guests, an 18-year-old male student, four 19-year-old male students and an 18-year-old male guest. The beer was confiscated and all the students will be referred to OSCCR.

4 a.m. The fire alarm was activated in Stetson West when an unknown person pulled on a fire extinguisher in the building.

10:30 a.m. Staff members in Snell Library reported a suspicious person at one of the workstations on the first floor. Officers responded and found the man, who claimed to be a part-time student and also employed by the university. James Dustin, 34, of Boston, was arrested on a default warrant for larceny in Somerville. If he is found to be in fact a part-time student, he will also be referred to OSCCR.

9 p.m. A 22-year-old male student reported his wallet stolen after leaving it unattended on a table in Snell Library for several minutes. The wallet contained $6 and several credit cards.

Monday, March 29 11 a.m. Officers were notified that a service closet on the third floor of Kerr Hall had been broken into and vandalized, affecting the Internet, cable and telephone service to the building for several hours.

2 p.m. Staff members in the O’Bryant African-American Institute reported two flat screen computer monitors, two keyboards and two computer mice missing from the building. An event had occurred over the weekend, and many people could have had access to the building.

4:30 p.m. An 18-year-old female student reported her cell phone stolen from her room in Stetson East. The student claimed she had left the phone on her desk while she slept, and it was gone the next morning. The student also admitted to never locking her door.

8:30 p.m. The manager of Blackman Auditorium asked for assistance in removing a 19-year-old male student and a 20-year-old male student from the auditorium. The manager claimed to have seen the two students sneak in through a side door without paying for tickets to see the show. The students were uncooperative with police and with Blackman staff, and later returned, confronting Blackman staff again. Both students will be referred to OSCCR for disorderly conduct.

9 p.m. An officer at 110 St. Stephen St. detected the odor of marijuana coming from an apartment. No one answered his knocks, but another 19-year-old resident of the apartment soon returned to the apartment and allowed the officer in. The officer found a marijuana joint and other drug paraphernalia in the bedroom of the resident’s 22-year-old female roommate. The roommate will be referred to OSCCR.

Crime Log Entry of the Week Sunday, March 28 12:30 a.m. An officer stopped an 18-year-old intoxicated male student on Gainsborough Street. The student had been writing graffiti on several cars using chalk markers. He will be referred to OSCCR.