New OSCCR head updates SGA

By Zac Estrada, News Staff

Recently hired Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution (OSCCR) director Mary Wegmann hopes to get student input in order to plot a new path for the department, attempting to shed the negative image generated under former leaders.

Wegmann, who was hired as director in December, updated the Student Government Association (SGA) Wednesday at its meeting on her fledgling tenure and how she is fielding suggestions on how to improve student awareness on conduct, as well as making OSCCR increasingly approachable.

“OSCCR has a history of not being nice people,” Wegmann said, who admitted the office became known as the “area of darkness” among Northeastern administrators. “I’m doing a lot of assessing to see where we’re at and asking, ‘Where do we want to go?’”

Wegmann said she’s looking at what other schools do, but is also interested in spotting trends and finding out issues students are experiencing firsthand.

“I need to feel around and see what’s good for Northeastern,” Wegmann said.

Wegmann and SGA Vice President for Academic Affairs Ashley Caron have had ongoing discussions since her December appointment. In a January article by The News, Caron commended Wegmann’s seven-year work in Emerson College’s housing department.

“She has worked with both small and large student bodies in an urban setting, and I think having both of these perspectives in mind when working with our students will only benefit us,” Caron said.

Caron told senators Wednesday she and Wegmann are continuing to discuss the NU P.L.E.D.G.E. initiative intended to encourage students to be better neighbors to Mission Hill and Fenway residents.

Wegmann said she wants to partner with more academic organizations to better educate students on conduct codes, instead of imposing restrictions they may not be aware of.

After being prompted by SGA Vice President of Academic Affairs Michael Sabo, Wegmann also said she is trying to learn more about academic violations and possibly assess the system with academic affairs.

Wegmann reassured the senate she is passionate about student conduct and finding out the best way of communicating with the student body.

“There’s a whole other way of talking to students,” she said.