Heating unit culprit in apartment fire

By Zac Estrada, News Staff

Boston Fire Department officials cite a faulty heating and ventilation unit as the cause of a a three-alarm fire Monday morning that ripped through a Westland Avenue building, displacing a dozen Northeastern University students.

No one was injured in the fire, but BFD Spokesman Steve MacDonald said in a news release issued Tuesday damages were around $400,000 and are expected to rise. It could be weeks before any of the 40-45 apartment residents are allowed to move back in.

MacDonald said about 75 firefighters responded to a call at 2:24 a.m. after a fire started at 90 Westland Ave. The six-story structure houses Cappy’s Pizza and Subs, a laundromat and a convenience store on the first level; floors 2 through 6 are apartments primarily occupied by students from Northeastern and surrounding colleges.

“We know there was heavy fire on the top floor,” MacDonald said. “You can’t see it from the street, but the roof has severe damage.”

MacDonald says it will be weeks before repairs can be finished to bring the building up to code; until then, all apartments and businesses in the structure will be closed. No surrounding buildings were damaged by the fire.

Renata Nyul, Northeastern director of communications, said Monday in an email that the Student Affairs “We Care” program at the university is organizing housing for displaced Northeastern students.

“We are helping the students with everything appropriate and necessary, including meals, information relevant to landlord/tenant responsibilities and letting faculty know of the students’ challenging situation,” Nyul said in an email.

Most students moved into on-campus buildings during the Labor Day weekend before the first day of classes Wednesday, and students affected by the fire were offered places in on-campus residence halls.

Nyul said Wednesday the university has met with all of the students affected by the fire and offered on-campus housing.
She said students interested in finding different apartments are also working with the off-campus housing office at a meeting Wednesday in Curry Student Center.

“The focus right now is to do what’s right based on each student’s individual needs and circumstances,” Nyul said. “We are making sure that we have beds for them, meals, support, counseling, etc. as needed.”