Husky Happenings

Northeastern sells Warren Woods property
The Ashland Board of Selectmen announced last week that the town will buy Northeastern’s Warren Woods property for $4 million. Negotiations between the university and Ashland, a town 25 miles west of Boston, became tense this summer after environmental testing raised concerns among selectmen. The more than 100-acre property was re-tested after the university gave the town an extension to conduct more testing before coming to an agreement. The later tests confirmed the land was contaminated with pesticides and oil. The deal requires that Northeastern fund additional cleanup.

– Taylor Dobbs, News Staff

West Village B fire a false alarm
Boston Fire Department Spokesperson Steve MacDonald said firefighters responded to a smoke alarm in West Village B around 6:30 p.m. Wednesday but determined it was a false alarm.

– Melissa Werthmann, News Staff

LASO hosts cultural show
As part of Diversity Week, the Latin American Student Organization is hosting a cultural show Sunday from 2:30 to 5 p.m. in the Curry Student Center Ballroom. The event will include music, food, prizes and performances by Kaliente, NU Ballroom Dance Club, Sinha Capoeira and more.

– Melissa Werthmann, News Staff

SGA surveys student opinion on Curry food vendor
After deciding Chick-fil-A would not be an option for Northeastern, officials explored other possible food vendors for the Curry Student Center food court. “Earlier this week the administration provided a list of three potential vendors, which are Bojangles’ Famous Chicken ‘n Biscuits, Popeye’s Louisiana Kitchen and Raising Cane’s Chicken Fingers. Please fill out our survey so we can represent your voice in choosing one of these vendors to be included in the renovations,” Student Government Association (SGA) Executive Director of Communications Kelly Dwyer said in an email to The News. This survey can be found here. The chosen vendor will join current options On The Go, Taco Bell, the West End and Starbucks, and newcomers Sweet Tomatoes Neapolitan Pizza, Kigo Kitchen and UBURGER.

– Melissa Werthmann, News Staff

Women’s club hockey wins national title
Northeastern’s women’s club hockey team captured the 2012 Division 1 Championship with a 3-1 victory over University of Minnesota, making this the second season in a row a new champion took the title. Goalie Chelsea Dietz gave up only one goal during the tournament and was named tournament MVP.

– Melissa Werthmann, News Staff