Husky Happenings

Sabo appeals stipend cuts
During Monday’s Student Government Association (SGA) meeting, SGA President Michael Sabo announced he appealed the Finance Board’s decision to cut funding for SGA e-board members’ stipends.

The decision will go before the Appeals Board and Vice President of Student Affairs Laura Wankel will make the final decision.

During the meeting Senator Maya Quijada asked Sabo on what basis he appealed the budget cut. Sabo answered that “the ruling was arbitrary and capricious.”

He said he would like other funding options explored. “I have recommended to her that a baseline of funding be set,” he said.

Both candidates for student body president, Chris LaColla and Peter Petrin, said they would remove stipends if elected.

Sabo recognized students want the stipends removed, but said his appeal will hopefully yield positive results.

“It’s clearly been a student-driven issue,” he said. “It’s definitely time that we engage everyone in this.”

– Melissa Werthmann, News Staff

SGA votes in support of Chartwells workers
SGA senators voted on the Sense of the Senate resolution presented last week regarding the mistreatment of Chartwells workers and their unionization.

Senator Dylan O’Sullivan said the document highlights rights already guaranteed by law, including the right to form a union.

“Our moral obligation as students doesn’t end where the law ends,” O’Sullivan said.

The senators approved the Sense of the Senate with 42 votes in favor and none opposed, with two abstaining.

– Melissa Werthmann, News Staff

SGA nominates internally elected positions
SGA opened nominations for internally elected positions Monday, and will vote during next week’s meeting.

Current Comptroller Anthony Golia nominated Senator Maya Quijada to take over his position.

Senator Kate Chandley nominated Kristina Lopez for vice president of academic affairs. Vice President for Student Affairs Jonas Edwards-Jenks nominated Josh Coombes for reelection to the position.

Senator Ashley Caron nominated Student-at-Large Nicole Daly for vice president of student affairs, and Senator Quijada nominated Josh Harris for the position. Senator Neel Bhadra was also nominated.

Senator Chandley was nominated for vice president of student involvement, and Senators Mary Corrado and Dylan O’Sullivan were nominated for vice president of student services.

Nominations for elections chair include Senator Amanda Donati and Student-at-Large Julia Patten.

Nominations are set to close at 5 p.m. on Friday and any candidate who loses the directly elected positions, including president or executive vice president, can be nominated for an internally elected position.

– Melissa Werthmann, News Staff