NU students travel to Standing Rock

NU students travel to Standing Rock

The stars begin to fade at Oceti Sakowin Camp in the early morning of Saturday, Nov. 26. The temperature was around 16 degrees Fahrenheit before the sun rose.

• Northeastern students on their way to help at the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe’s Oceti Sakowin Camp get stranded in Selfridge, N.D. on Thursday, Nov. 24. The gas station in Selfridge, a town of about 160 inside the Standing Rock Indian Reservation, was closed because it was Thanksgiving but the students were helped by North Dakota residents who allowed them to siphon gas.

• Linda Hengel, from Macintosh, N.D., siphons gasoline for Northeastern students who became stranded in Selfridge, N.D. on Thursday, Nov. 24. The students went to volunteer at the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe’s Oceti Sakowin Camp, just north of the reservation whose water supply the Dakota Access Pipeline threatens.

• Senior environmental science and political science major Austin Williams looks at Oceti Sakowin after arriving on Thursday, Nov. 24.

• Protesters to the Dakota Access Pipeline, self-titled water protectors, gather into a circle before a prayer ceremony on Thursday, Nov. 24 near Backwater Bridge in Cannon Ball, N.D. The bridge was closed and law enforcement added a blockade in October after protesters set fire to vehicles on it.

• Water protectors gather into a circle before a prayer ceremony on Thursday, Nov. 24 near Backwater Bridge in Cannon Ball, N.D. Two demonstrations were made on Thanksgiving Day, one near Backwater Bridge and another at Turtle Island.

• Third-year environmental science major Steph Gorney, center, and third-year sociology major Rebecca Green, right, walk toward Turtle Island on Thursday, Nov. 24. The island in Cannon Ball, N.D. is an alleged Native American burial site and is considered sacred by the Standing Rock Sioux.

• Water protectors walk towards Turtle Island while Morton County Sheriff’s Department officers watch on Thursday, Nov. 24. The Dakota Access Pipeline, a $3.8 billion project proposed by Energy Transfer Partners is supposed to run over the alleged Native American burial site.

• “Water is life” (“Mni Wiconi” in the native language) signs rest on the side of a truck while a protest takes place at Turtle Island on Thursday, Nov. 24. Water protectors created a makeshift floating bridge to cross to the base of the island.

• Standing Rock Sioux Tribe member Kenzie Carry-Moccasin, 18, tends to 8-year-old Rowdy, a horse brought to standing rock by Crow Creek Hunkpati, another Sioux tribe from South Dakota, at the Oceti Sakowin Camp on Friday, Nov. 25. The camp was created on federal land in August, originally land given to Native Americans by a 1851 treaty, because of growing concerns of the pipeline and the need to protest closer. “We depend on the water. If our water supply gets tainted we aren’t the only to get impacted, but we will be the first,” she said.

• Northeastern Students get things from their rented van before a prayer ceremony at the sacred fire in the Oceti Sakowin Camp in the early morning of Saturday, Nov. 26. The temperature was around 16 degrees Fahrenheit before the sun rose.

• The stars begin to fade at Oceti Sakowin Camp in the early morning of Saturday, Nov. 26. The temperature was around 16 degrees Fahrenheit before the sun rose.

• Left to right, Steph Gorney, Alissa Zimmer and Nick Boyd move boxes to random locations around Oceti Sakowin so the camp can collect bottles for insulation on Saturday, Nov. 26. A sizeable portion of the volunteer force at the camp was dedicated to winterizing, or preparing for the harsh North Dakota winter that was to come. “We kept hearing from the indigenous people who were there that the support really helps build their spirits and helps strengthen the movement which is really important,” said.

• Presidential candidate Vermin Supreme, left, and his nephew Jake Taylor, right, look on a burnt car and electronic road sign near a blockade at Backwater Bridge at Cannon Ball, N.D. on Saturday, Nov. 26. "I'm the people's candidate and I'm here to join the people's struggle," Supreme said.

• The road from Backwater Bridge, which was closed by authorities, and is one of the two ways to reach Oceti Sakowin on Saturday, Nov. 26.

Photos by Scotty Schenck