Women’s soccer shutout at UNCW

George Barker, deputy sports editor

The Huskies’ road struggles continued Sunday afternoon,  as they fell 2-0 to the UNCW Seahawks, continuing their streak of losses on the road.

Most Huskies (4-7) fans would’ve figured following Northeastern’s CAA opener, where they exploded for six goals, that NU had figured out their scoring woes. Unfortunately for them, they couldn’t carry their momentum to Wilmington, as the Seahawks (5-4) blanked the visiting Huskies.

NU couldn’t have gotten off to a worse start to the game, as emerging redshirt sophomore goalie Megan Adams received a red card just six minutes into the game handling outside the box. On the ensuing free kick, redshirt sophomore forward Morgan Nanni picked up her fourth goal of the season to give the Seahawks an early lead. 

For the rest of the game the Huskies played solid defense, not allowing another shot on goal for the remainder of the half. Meanwhile, junior forward Chelsea Domond showed up for the Huskies again, forcing UNCW’s junior keeper Sydney Schneider to make three saves. 

Unfortunately for NU, the next time the Seahawks put a shot on goal, it found the back of the net. In the 63rd minute, freshman forward Jordan Faveri secured her second goal of the season off an assist from fellow freshman forward Emily Moxley. 

The rest of the game was rather uneventful — only Moxley managed to challenge a goaltender. In the waning moments of the match, freshman Angeline Friel made her first save since coming in to replace Adams. 

The Huskies record fell to 4-7, but their next game is at Parsons Field, where they are 4-1 on the year. Their next opponent is CAA rival Hofstra (8-3), who will arrive in Brookline for a 6 p.m. match this Thursday.