‘Oops! All Locals’ concert showcases undiscovered Boston talent

Juliana George

AfterHours gives local Boston artists a place to shine. Winkler performed at the small Northeastern venue March 1.

Juliana George, news staff

Northeastern’s AfterHours is a relatively small venue, sandwiched snugly between the Curry Student Center and the campus Starbucks. But it’s also the largest stage that Boston-based indie band Winkler has ever played on. 

“I keep on accidentally backing into Christian,” Winkler’s lead vocalist Justin Schaefers said on stage, gesturing apologetically to drummer Christian Schmidt. “I’m so excited to move around in all this space that I keep forgetting to actually sing into the mic.” 

Winkler played AfterHours March 1 for the Northeastern Live Music Association’s “Oops! All Locals” show, which featured two small Boston artists. LMA hosted second-year psychology and music combined major Corinna Parrish as the opening act, and Winkler as the headliner. 

Winkler, a band whose name pays homage to American actor Henry Winkler, is one of the many underground artists fueling Boston’s booming music scene. They have just over 900 monthly listeners on Spotify, and their most popular track, “Twin Snakes,” has generated about 33,000 streams. 

Winkler is not as widely listened to as Isaac Dunbar, Coco & Clair Clair or spill tab, artists who have previously performed at Northeastern this school year. But the band made up for their anonymity with an effervescent stage presence, as indicated by encouraging cheers and appreciative stomping from the crowd. 

Schaefers kept up the energy by dancing onstage in his socks and holding conversations with audience members while the rest of the band teased him and riffed off of his anecdotes. Winkler’s funky retro sound and charming enthusiasm contributed to a memorable performance from a band that was previously unknown to much of the audience. 

Parrish, the opening act, delivered her performance confidently and playfully. She sang covers and originals with equal vigor. “Stuffed Sharks” invited whoops and applause from the audience as it described the distinctly local experience of a date with an ex at the Boston aquarium followed by a breakdown on the Green Line, complete with the all-too-familiar sound effect of screeches on the tracks of the subway. 

“[Stuffed Sharks] was one of the first songs I ever played at Northeastern,” Parrish said, referencing a Northeastern Songwriting Club meeting that took place during quarantine last year. “Nobody knew who I was because it was over a Zoom screen and nobody cared. I was just a random girl singing in my dorm. Having that moment [finally] come together with an actual [audience] was really great.” 

The “Oops! All Locals” show was part of the LMA’s push to increase diversity at their events. 

“Right now, 100% of our shows this year have either been artists of color, LGBTQ+ artists or local artists,” said Alex Eubanks, a third-year philosophy and business administration double major and the president of LMA. “We’re trying to make sure that everyone’s getting some face time.” 

Winkler first entered Eubanks’s radar when he attended the Brookline Porchfest, an annual concert that books small Massachusetts artists, in September 2021 to scope out potential After Hours performers. 

“[Winkler’s] stage presence was insane and the music vibes were very good. They’ve been on the back of my mind since [Porchfest],” Eubanks said. “[With “Oops! All Locals,”] we could get some cash back into the local music scene and give a student the opportunity to open.” 

The concert’s attendees also valued supporting local Boston talent. 

“I try to [go to local shows] whenever I can,” said Boo Mangiacotti, a second-year political science major. “I’ve gone to so many shows where I’ve never heard of the band, and then you can leave with a song that you like.” 

Catherine Robohn, a first-year chemistry major, echoed Mangiacotti’s sentiments and said word-of-mouth is her primary source of exposure to local artists. 

“Usually I go to [local] artists I like on social media and find who they’re trying to promote and listen to them,” Robohn said. “I think you have to try to find someone who’s in the know.” 

By Robohn’s standards, LMA happens to be “in the know.” The club recently partnered with Noise Complaint Productions, a collaborative project across Berklee College of Music, Boston University and Northeastern that books shows with student performers. With Noise Complaint, Eubanks hopes that small artists like Winkler and Parrish can gain recognition not just within the university microcosm, but citywide. 

Local booking organizations like Noise Complaint Productions are working to improve diversity and student involvement in the Boston music scene, and Northeastern students seem to be equally committed to supporting small artists. 

Even with all these changes to the local music scene, one thing will always remain the same: slim pickings at the merch table. 

“We’re selling buttons. We had one T-shirt, but I think it might be spoken for,” said Schaefers sheepishly toward the end of the show.