After a rough loss Saturday, the Huskies win 3-0 over Hofstra on Sunday

Sofia Sawchuk
Freshman outside hitter Abby Reck leaps to hit the ball. Reck was named CAA Rookie of the Week this week for her 33 kills against Elon.

This weekend, the Northeastern volleyball team (9-5, 5-1 CAA) faced off against Hofstra University (13-4, 3-3 CAA) in back-to-back matches at home. After a tough 3-1 loss Saturday, Northeastern rallied back and defeated Hofstra in three straight sets Sunday, ending the Pride’s seven-match win streak. 

On Saturday, both teams came in with high energy, trading points back and forth. Northeastern graduate student middle blocker Nyla Shepherd set the tone for the Huskies, getting a commanding block early on. However, Hofstra began to pull ahead after consecutive kills and a few energy-killing aces, forcing Northeastern head coach Lenika Vazquez to call a timeout with the Huskies trailing 22-15. Yet Hofstra continued to dominate, with its sizable number of fans cheering them on to take set one 25-16.

The Huskies regrouped and came back onto the court ready to fight back in set two, opening the set with kills from Shepherd and graduate student outside hitter Julianna Truscott and going on  a 3-0 run. The Huskies continued to dominate with a service ace from Truscott, extending Northeastern’s lead to 7-2. 

However, after a few hitting errors from the Huskies and some commanding kills from Hofstra, the Pride closed the gap, 9-8. The teams traded points back and forth until the score was tied at 13 midway through the set. They went back and forth until a controlling kill by Truscott pulled the Huskies ahead 18-17. After consecutive errors from Hofstra, the Huskies had a comfortable lead of 24-21 at set point. Fittingly, Truscott closed it out with her fifth kill of the set. 

The Huskies should have entered the third set with the momentum from their two-set lead, but they looked defeated and tired early on, trailing Hofstra 11-5. The Huskies got a bit of energy after an ace and a kill from freshman outside hitter Abby Reck but couldn’t get anything else going. Hoftra looked unstoppable, getting to set point after six straight tallies. Arliel tried to salvage the set for the Huskies, who were down 24-12, with a kill, but it wasn’t enough. Hofstra won set three 25-14.

The Huskies came into set four hot with kills from Shepherd and Reck. However, soon after their early momentum started, Northeastern fell victim to Hofstra’s powerful hitters and scrappy plays once again. The Huskies trailed Hofstra almost the entire set, unable to score a row of points that would put them on top. 

Back-to-back kills from Truscott gave the Huskies hope and forced Hofstra to take a timeout. However, Hofstra’s lead kept growing, the Pride finishing Northeastern off 25-21 in the fourth and final set.

When the Huskies retook the court Sunday, Northeastern was hungry for revenge. Even during warmups, the team seemed like it had fully regrouped.

The Huskies huddle in between points. After its initial loss to Hofstra Sept. 23, Northeastern has gone on a three-game run. (Sofia Sawchuk)

The Huskies drew first blood with a kill from Truscott, setting the pace for the game. However, after kills from Hofstra and an attack error from the Huskies, Vazquez called for Northeastern’s first timeout, trailing 13-9. The Huskies reset after back-to-back kills and two huge blocks from graduate middle blocker Anabel Zier, pulling the Huskies up 15-14. The teams traded points back and forth until Truscott tied it up 22-22 with a kill. Two consecutive kills by senior outside hitter Defne Arliel and an attack error from Hofstra called the nail-biting set, 25-23 Huskies. 

The second set kept the crowd on the edge of its seats. Two attack errors from Hofstra and a service ace from Reck gave the Huskies an early 3-0 lead, but Hofstra responded well, acing Northeastern twice and tying the set at 4-4. The teams went back and forth, with neither squad leading by more than two points through the first half of the set.. 

After three kills from Arliel and a crowd-boosting combined block from Zier and Arliel, the Huskies took a commanding 18-12 lead. Hofstra continued to fight back, closing the lead to 21-20, but the Huskies were determined to win this set. After two tough serves from Truscott, they took the group 25-22. 

Northeastern entered the third set hoping to sweep Hofstra, but the Pride wasn’t willing to back down without a fight. After an early 10-6 Hofstra lead, the Huskies rallied, and with statement kills from Shepherd, Truscott and Arliel and a service ace from Reck, the Huskies caught up with their rivals, making it an even 13-13. Neither team could get a comfortable lead until Arliel’s kill at 19-18. Two attack errors from Hofstra handed Northeastern the sweep over the Pride, with a final score of 25-21.

With the help of graduate student setter Inbal Peleg’s 21 assists, Truscott’s seven kills and Shepherd’s dominating six blocks, the Huskies handed Hofstra its second loss of the season. 

This weekend, Northeastern won both its games against Elon University (3-2 and 3-1). Next weekend, the Huskies face off against Hampton University at Cabot Center. 

Esha Minhas, Deputy Sports Editor