Students, parents enjoy Family & Friends Weekend

Ananya Kulkarni
A family takes a break from the festivities on Centennial. The four played cards and spent time together along with many other families.

Northeastern hosted Family & Friends Weekend Oct. 13-15, inviting parents to enjoy a weekend of activities such as yoga, trivia nights, Halloween parties and more. 

Family & Friends Weekend takes place every October and serves as an opportunity for parents and friends to experience Northeastern’s Boston campus and visit students attending the university. New students often show friends and family their new homes after spending the month of September settling in.

Centennial Common was transformed into a bustling hub of fall-themed festivities Oct. 14 for the main event of the weekend, the Family & Friends Festival. The festival included pumpkin painting, photo booths, music, performers and food for attendees to enjoy. Families participated in fall-themed activities with students, danced to live music and waited in line for cotton candy, apple cider and caramel apples. Additionally, many festival participants sat for face painting and family portraits by a sketch artist. The school mascot, Paws, also greeted and took photos with attendees.

Throughout the day families were invited to enjoy featured speakers and performers such as Sean Astin, an American film actor, as well as The Brown Brothers, an impressionist duo from “America’s Got Talent.” The university also hosted ticketed excursions to popular Boston tourist attractions such as the Museum of Fine Arts, Fenway Park, the New England Aquarium and View Boston

Parents walked around campus with students, many dressed in school colors to support the men’s ice hockey team during their game against Bentley University that was scheduled to take place later that evening.

At 9 p.m. Northeastern hosted S’mores Under the Stars, during which parents were able to enjoy s’mores, hot cider and hot cocoa. The event also included live performances and food to wrap up the day.

Ananya Kulkarni
Ananya Kulkarni, Managing Editor
Ananya Kulkarni is a third-year political science and journalism major and is also pursuing a minor in graphic design. She is a managing editor of The News and has previously served as beat writer for the men’s and women’s rowing teams. Follow her on Instagram (@ananya_kulkarni_media) for updates!