Northeastern police investigating unarmed robbery near campus Tuesday night

Elizabeth Scholl
The front of the NUPD building at 716 Columbus Ave. An unarmed robbery occurred near campus Tuesday night.

The Northeastern University Police Department is investigating after a person had their phone stolen in an unarmed robbery on Ruggles Street Tuesday night, according to an email alert sent to students. 

The robbery occurred around 6:34 p.m. at a bus stop on Ruggles Street, according to the email sent around 9 p.m. by the Northeastern University Police Department, or NUPD. The bus stop, which is near Tavern Road, is immediately adjacent to the West Village A residence hall.

“The suspect took a cell phone out of the victim’s hand and fled on foot through West Campus towards Forsyth Street,” the email said. “No weapon was used and the victim was not injured.”

It was not clear whether the victim was a Northeastern student. 

NU Alerts, such as the one concerning the robbery, are sent out when “an immediate threat to health or safety of the campus has been confirmed,” according to the email. Specifically, “Timely Warning” notifications are sent to the student and faculty body when a crime has occurred on campus, but there is not an immediate threat to campus safety.

In the email, NUPD reminded recipients what actions they can take to keep themselves safe. Safety tips listed included awareness of one’s surroundings, walking with others, downloading the SafeZone mobile app and knowing about on-campus safety resources like NUPD or campus personal safety escorts.

NUPD is assisting the Boston Police Department in investigating the robbery, according to the email. The department is asking anyone with information on the matter to contact NUPD at 617-373-2121.

Kristina DaPonte
Kristina DaPonte, Lifestyle Editor
Kristina DaPonte is a third-year journalism major with a minor in communication studies. She is the deputy lifestyle editor for The News as well as a contributor to Spectrum Literary Arts Magazine. She's excited to bring exciting, engaging stories to the table. Follow her @dapontekristina on Twitter for updates.
Elizabeth Scholl
Elizabeth Scholl, Deputy Photo Editor
Elizabeth Scholl is a second-year pharmaceutical sciences major with a minor in business administration. She currently serves as one of the deputy photo editors for The News. Her favorite events to photograph include sports, concerts and anything The News needs last minute.