Northeastern Crime Log

By Jen Nelson

Crime log entries are selected from Northeastern’s Division of Public Safety reports.

Wednesday December 10 3:15 p.m. An officer patrolling Gainsborough Street noticed two men walking along the path near the Camden footbridge. When the men noticed the patrol car, they dropped a package and began walking quickly away. The officer inspected the dropped package and found it to be a bag of marijuana. The officer stopped the men, who cooperated. The men also had more marijuana and some illegal pills in their possession. Andrew Potocki, 21, and Carnell Winn, 19, both of Boston, were arrested for possession of marijuana with the intent to distribute in a public school zone. The men have no affiliation with Northeastern.

9:30 p.m. An anonymous caller reported people using marijuana on the eighth floor of West Campus E. Officers responded and found a 21-year-old female resident along with her 21-year-old female student guest in possession of a pipe and a bag of marijuana. Both students will be referred to the Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution (OSCCR).

11 p.m. A Resident Assistant in Smith Hall reported the odor of marijuana coming from a room on the third floor. The RA, accompanied by officers, found a 19-year-old male resident along with an 18-year-old male resident of another room with a towel blocking the door and a fan in the window. No drugs were found. Both students will be referred to OSCCR.

Friday December 12 6 a.m. A food service employee reported that the tires of a food service catering van had been slashed overnight while it was parked near Stetson West.

2 p.m. A 20-year-old female student informed police that she had placed a restraining order against her ex-boyfriend, and that he in turn had placed one against her. The orders were obtained off campus at the recommendation of a counselor. The student was told to report the orders to NUPD.

11:45 p.m. A non-student repeatedly trying to get into afterHOURS became disorderly when the staff would not allow him admittance. Officers reported to the scene and arrested Tyrone Smith, 21, of Boston, for disorderly conduct.

Saturday December 13 Noon A 20-year-old female resident of West Campus A reported several thousand dollars worth of jewelry missing from her apartment. The resident suspects her ex-boyfriend, who had been in the apartment and knew of the jewelry.

Sunday December 14 5 a.m. An 18-year-old female student in Stetson West reported that she had left the backpack of her 22-year-old male visitor in the hallway of the fourth floor unattended for 20 minutes. When they returned for the bag, it was gone. The bag contained $200, clothing and jewelry.

Monday December 15 6:30 p.m. An 18-year-old female resident of Speare Hall reported $200 missing from her room. The student had gone to work for the afternoon, during which time her roommate had several people over for a study group. The roommate admitted to being in and out of the room all afternoon and to leaving the door unlocked when she was not in the room.

Wednesday December 17 Noon An 18-year-old female student reported that she had left her cell phone unattended in the first floor lounge of White Hall. When she returned for the phone five minutes later, it was gone.

Thursday December 18 8:30 p.m. An 18-year-old male student and his 19-year-old male roommate reported two laptops, three watches, five video games and $900 missing from their room in White Hall. The roommates had left their room unlocked and unattended from 4 to 8 p.m.

Friday December 19 8 p.m. A fire alarm went off in the Renaissance Parking Garage, and security officers noticed a man running from the garage moments later. A witness approached security, stating that she had taken her friend’s car keys away because the man was intoxicated. The intoxicated man then got angry and pulled the alarm. He was apprehended several blocks away by officers. David Hyde, a 22-year-old resident of Davenport A, was arrested for pulling a false alarm. He will be referred to OSCCR.

Monday December 22 11 p.m. A 20-year-old female student walking alone on the Camden footbridge was approached by a man and robbed. The man then fled, accompanied by another man. The victim did not report injuries.

Tuesday December 23 11 a.m. A female staff member reported that she had left her purse unattended on the first floor of Snell Library the previous afternoon. When she returned, she found $15 and some credit cards missing.

Saturday December 27 12:30 a.m. A Community Receptionist in West Campus B reported that an intoxicated woman had been carried in by friends. Officers responded and found the 20-year-old female student, who had used a borrowed ID to gain access to the building. The student was taken to the hospital. The student and the student who loaned her the ID will be referred to OSCCR.

Monday December 29 1:30 p.m. The manager at Wollaston’s in the Marino Center reported that he had detained two juvenile shoplifters, who had attempted to steal cough syrup. The parents were notified, and both juveniles are no longer permitted on campus.

Saturday January 3 6:30 p.m. A male alumnus notified officers that while he was walking on The Fenway behind the Museum of Fine Arts, he was approached by two men who attempted to rob him. The victim managed to run away before he could be robbed.

10 p.m. A 20-year-old female student and her mother, who were walking in the same part of The Fenway behind the MFA, were robbed by two men.

Monday January 5 4:30 p.m. A female staff member from Holmes Hall reported her cell phone and wallet stolen from her office sometime during the afternoon. The staff member admitted to leaving her office unlocked and unattended several times throughout the afternoon. The wallet contained $50 and several credit cards, which had already been charged with $1,000 in purchases by the time the staff member reported them stolen.

11 p.m. An 18-year-old male resident in Stetson West was punched by the 18-year-old visitor of an 18-year-old female resident. The victim was not badly injured and did not want to press charges.

Wednesday January 7 9 a.m. A 19-year-old student reported his laptop missing after leaving it unattended in an office in Ell Hall. An employee in the office reported that a man had entered the office and taken the laptop, claiming it was his.

10 a.m. Police in Virginia contacted NUPD for assistance in a case of stolen property. A car with a laptop inside was reported stolen in Virginia in October. When the car was found, the laptop was missing. The laptop had a theft detection service installed in it that would alert the service any time the Internet was accessed by the computer. Virginia police contacted NUPD because a signal had been traced from the laptop to an Internet port on campus. NUPD investigated the signal and found the computer in the room of an 18-year-old female resident of Speare Hall. The student claimed that her father had purchased the computer for her after hers had broken. The father, in Maryland, was contacted and questioned, and reported that he had purchased the used computer from an electronics store. The case is still under investigation.

7 p.m. An officer recognized a man loitering in the West Campus Quad as one who had been removed from campus several times for shoplifting and various other thefts. The officer arrested Rodney Greene, 49, for trespassing. Greene also had a warrant for his arrest for a probation violation for breaking and entering.

Thursday January 8 Noon A 21-year-old female reported receiving harassing phone calls from her ex-boyfriend in England. NUPD gave her instructions on how to avoid the harassing calls.

Friday January 9 12:15 a.m. An RA reported an 18-year-old male student intoxicated and covered in vomit on the fourth floor of Kennedy Hall. The student admitted to drinking by himself and having an alcohol problem. He was taken to the hospital and will be referred to OSCCR.

1 p.m. An 18-year-old male student reported a disorderly group of male high school students in the Robinson Parking Lot. The students had thrown a soda bottle and verbally harassed the student as he walked by.

8:30 p.m. An 18-year-old male resident of White Hall reported being pushed and punched by his roommate after they had a dispute. The roommates had not gotten along for a long time. The student who had punched his roommate was told to leave the room while another room could be secured for him to spend the night. The roommate did not obey this request and returned to the room, where he verbally threatened his roommate. Officers returned and arrested Sean Laranjo, 18, for assault and verbal threats.

Saturday January 10 12:30 a.m. An 18-year-old female student was found intoxicated and vomiting in the lobby of White Hall. She was taken to the hospital and will be referred to OSCCR.

1 a.m. An RA in Davenport A called to report a 19-year-old male passed out and intoxicated in the lobby of Davenport A. The student lives off campus. He was taken to the hospital and will be referred to OSCCR.

1:30 a.m. An RA in Stetson East found a room with a group of students and several empty beer cans. The RA asked the resident for his ID, and he gave her a hard time. The student claims he was uninvolved in the drinking, but will be referred to OSCCR for refusing to show ID to the RA.

Sunday January 11 1 a.m. A student notified an RA that there was an intoxicated 18-year-old female student in a room on the second floor of Speare Hall. Officers responded and found the student intoxicated, but conscious and alert. She was not taken to the hospital but will be referred to OSCCR.

Monday January 12 Noon The manager at Wollaston’s in the Marino Center detained a 20-year-old male student for attempting to steal a candy bar. He will be referred to OSCCR and is banned from both Wollaston’s locations.

5:30 p.m. The RA staff of Davenport B requested assistance after getting a report of a roommate dispute, which had resulted in one roommate moving out of the apartment. Staff and officers located the apartment and questioned all involved, and found a history of two of the roommates not getting along. The situation has been referred to OSCCR.

Crime Log Entry of the Week

Thursday December 23

10 a.m. A bong was discovered in the 335 Huntington Ave. apartment of a 23-year-old male student. The bong was discovered by the Resident Director during room inspection. The student claims he uses the bong to smoke legal tobacco products. He will be referred to OSCCR.