Letter: Some processes at Snell better off sans technology

Many new technologies have rolled out in recent weeks at the behest of Student Government Association (SGA). The new print system, while at first confusing, actually seems to be streamlining the print process (although I don’t like my pages being associated with a monetary value).

And then there is the new group study room booking system. That’s right! It has moved online! No more standing in line at the circulation desk to see if a coveted space is available. Instead, you must log on to the library website and slog your way through a labyrinthine system that requires mostly luck to complete the request – hopefully, you will emerge with your favorite space reserved for more than 30 minutes. And in fact, library staff can no longer tell you if there are any rooms still available.

They can try to troubleshoot the system with you if you’ve given it a sporting try – no promises, though. Still, if you’re looking for same-day booking, chances are slim that you can book for more than an hour. And it’s actually easier to see what is currently available by looking into the future.

It remains to be seen if this system can be maintained. Firefox has had issues with it, and I’ve heard anecdotal evidence of students wrongfully blocked from accessing the system. Somehow, dealing with the human element was much simpler, even if library staff came off as gleeful in telling you, “No, there are no rooms available for the rest of the day.” At least they could inform you. The system lies in the earlier levels. There’s only one thing for you to do:  Keep on tryin,’ Huskies.

– Elizabeth Waters is a senior international affairs major.