Editorial: New SGA president must make transparency and outreach top priority

This week, Student Government Association (SGA) began promoting the nomination process to replace SGA President Ryan Fox. Fox has held the position since 2009 – he was elected for an unprecedented second term. As in most leadership positions, Fox made advances in leading the student body and mistakes. But as students begin to consider a new president, it is important to look at the issues they currently face.

Under Fox’s leadership, SGA has made several progressions. It supported getting rid of activities period to increase the number and variety of classes offered on any given day, started a Facebook page devoted to student input, and made a proposal to increase gender neutral housing. Along with these triumphs came missteps – The News reported on Sept. 23 that Fox was no longer allowing reporters from The News into Finance Board meetings.

The next president must take all of this into consideration, especially the issues of transparency and student outreach. Fox took a giant step backward by not allowing The News into Finance Board meetings, especially when the meetings are primarily concerned with what to do with students’ money. His successor should be careful to maintain the highest level of transparency with the student body. And he or she could start by opening these meetings to the public and being clear about where money is going and when.

The next president of SGA should also continue taking steps to increase student involvement. After all, it is the most direct link between students and the administration. According to the SGA website, “We are constantly checking the student pulse to see what’s on your mind, and bringing your top concerns to the university directors, vice presidents and beyond to get them resolved.” The most effective way to do this is by maximizing student involvement. Creating a Facebook page that provides a forum and initiates conversation is a good start, but SGA needs to expand on this idea.

Lastly, SGA needs to be more receptive to criticism. No government is perfect. In the US, bills are always being passed and changes are constantly being made to optimize democracy and the political process. We elect politicians so that they may hear our concerns and take the necessary steps to address them. In the past, in instances when SGA was criticized, members became defensive instead of working to address the problem.

With an undergraduate enrollment of more than 15,000, the task facing Fox’s successor will not be easy. And with so many changes being made in the administration – an emphasis in the four-year option, a requirement for freshmen and sophomores to live on campus – we need a strong voice. Students are ready for change, and someone who can step up to the plate.

CORRECTION: A previous version of this editorial incorrectly stated that Student Body President Ryan Fox pushed for an amendment to the SGA constitution in order to run for a second term as president. The constitution was not amended.

A previous version also stated that “Fox was no longer allowing reporters into Finance Board meetings.” Rather, reporters specifically from The News were barred from Finance Board Meetings.