Letter: Maloney will fulfill responsibility of presidency

My name is Sean Maloney and as I have been telling students for the past week and a half, I want to be YOUR Student Body President.

I have four years of Student Government Association (SGA) experience including the two years serving on the Executive Board. A few of my main accomplishments include a vast improvement of dining services on campus (Rebecca’s Café, eight points at Outtakes, meal swipes at West End, extended hours at Stetson East), first time participation in Recyclemania and facilitation of two Campus Invasion events this year.

A main disagreement between me and my opponent is the president’s role in the position. I see the president as a two role job, the sole representative of the voice of the student body and the CEO of SGA. SGA is a president’s greatest resource and should be strengthened to its full potential by the CEO before moving on to outside resources. Student government is not at its full potential, as expressed in my first platform item, advocate. SGA and the student body need a representative on the Board of Trustees. A referendum item that I have authored will push for that individual to be established and if elected, I have the contacts and the research to ensure that the will of the students is executed. This is just one of the examples of SGA not operating at its full potential. I will not move to outside resources until I can look at SGA and believe that we have done all that we can as an association.

My platform of advocate, outreach, husky pride, student organizations and your voice is the construction of the student body’s voice as I have heard it. The student body has many more issues than can be found in my platform and I am very aware of this fact. I have constructed my platform with initiatives that I will personally accomplish through my role as the voice of the student body.

The CEO role of the president requires that he be a manager of resources and delegate other initiatives to members of the association to accomplish. A strong student body president accomplishes the initiatives that do not fall under any other job description and ensures that all individuals within the association are accomplishing the initiatives that are tasked to them.  You can have the utmost confidence that I will serve effectively in both roles of the student body president. Please visit NobolognaNU.com for more information on my entire platform. Voting is open and can be found at Sga.neu.edu/ballot. I urge you all to make your voice heard and vote. Thank you and go Huskies!

– Sean Maloney is a junior political science and economics major.